Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon / AFNI collection advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Verizon / AFNI collection advice?

I had issues with Verizon/Afni a few years back. I had a Verizon landline in my name at my Dads house while I was living there. I left for bootcamp and after being medically discharged, I came home to a $2200 bill that went to collections. I received letters from Afni every month and I just kept blowing them off because I just did not have the money to pay it. Eventually, I guess they got sick of me ignoring them or just wanted to purge some larger accounts and they sent me a settlement offer of $100. That's right, $100 to close a $2200 collection account. Needless to say, the check was in the mail that day and I never heard from them again. That happened in 2010. The account went to collections in 2005 and in PA, the SOL is 7 years so I assume they deleted it because it wasn't on my CR the following month after paying it.
Message 11 of 15
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@checkmyscore wrote:

Verizon / Afni...don't even get me started!

One piece of advice. All communication should be written and mail sent by certified return receipt. 

Verizon will never report it. They want your business and good publicity. Instead, they use a third party to screw you. 

Thats not true. Verizon reported on mine and has been a nightmare to deal with. They are my only CO on my account and scheduled to be there another 4 years. I'll never use Verizon again.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 15
Middleswarth
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
. The account went to collections in 2005 and in PA, the SOL is 7 years so I assume they deleted it because it wasn't on my CR the following month after paying it.

Are you certain it is 7 years?  I believe it is 4 years in PA.  

Message 13 of 15
mg85

You are correct. I don't know where I saw seven years. Good call!
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mg85 wrote:
You are correct. I don't know where I saw seven years. Good call!

Apologies. So there's no confusion, I accidentally posted the above response under my SW account instead of my "board account."

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.