cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon Account in collections

tag
markinlc

Verizon Account in collections

I have a question about a Verizon Wireless account. I looked the account up online and Verizon's website says that I can pay the balance due there. I called to talk to someone and they said that the account has been sold to AFNI and they can't talk to me about it other than the balance due and the phone number of the debt buyer. My question is what would happen if I go ahead and pay the account to Verizon online? Would Verizon be forced to pull the account back from the Collection Agency? 

I have tried contacting AFN\I several times and get no response from a DV or PFD. The account status on my credit report is Closed. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Verizon Account in collections

@markinlc wrote:

I have a question about a Verizon Wireless account. I looked the account up online and Verizon's website says that I can pay the balance due there. I called to talk to someone and they said that the account has been sold to AFNI and they can't talk to me about it other than the balance due and the phone number of the debt buyer. My question is what would happen if I go ahead and pay the account to Verizon online? Would Verizon be forced to pull the account back from the Collection Agency? 

I have tried contacting AFN\I several times and get no response from a DV or PFD. The account status on my credit report is Closed. 

If the account has been sold to AFNI VW is out of the loop, they must report a 0 balance on your CR if they are reporting, they cannot accept payment for the debt that would be illegal. You need to be dealing with the JDB AFNI... No Verizon cannot be forced to buy the debt back from the JDB, they would however have a legal obligation to refund any payments made by you to you... If you have DV the JDB and have gotten no response and they are reporting on your CR I would just escalate to the CFPB.

Message 2 of 13
happy0510
Established Contributor

My DH had an AFNI from Verizon, not VZW. 

We received letters from AFNI but I told my husband we are not paying because I wanted to PFD. This is his only baddie. I never got around to it.

Fast forward 1 1/2 years and we applied for Verizon FIOS for our home.  As I expected, they asked us for payment in full for that debt prior to opening up the new FIOS account. So, we paid Verizon directly.  I am yet to pull his reports but will in the next few days.

I am VERY curious to see what AFNI has showing or if they are showing at all. IMO, they should not be showing.

If so, I am going to send them a DV.

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no requirement for a debt collector to respond to a DV.

If the DV was timely, they must cease collection activities until such time as they have first provided the requested validation.

If you have sent a timely DV, they should not have any communications with you.

Message 4 of 13
acrylic51
Regular Contributor

I had a similar situation last summer but with Sprint wireless....It was sent to collections and I called the collection agency and they wouldn't budge.  I then found Sprint's customer service number and the account was years old.  Sprint was very decent, and I stated I wanted to pay they account in full and they stated I could and they would pull it back from the collection agency.  I would contact Verizon and see what they say.  Honestly if you'd pay Verizon and dispute the TL listed by the collection agency they couldn't verify the account since it was paid to Verizon......

Starting Score: 7/12 545 EX (PSECU)
Current Score: 689 EX (PSECU) / EQ 697 / TU 703

Message 5 of 13
happy0510
Established Contributor

@acrylic51 wrote:

I had a similar situation last summer but with Sprint wireless....It was sent to collections and I called the collection agency and they wouldn't budge.  I then found Sprint's customer service number and the account was years old.  Sprint was very decent, and I stated I wanted to pay they account in full and they stated I could and they would pull it back from the collection agency.  I would contact Verizon and see what they say.  Honestly if you'd pay Verizon and dispute the TL listed by the collection agency they couldn't verify the account since it was paid to Verizon......

I think so too.  I should be able to get it removed by Verizon.  Afterall, I am a VZW, FIOS, Internet, & Home Phone Customer!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 13
happy0510
Established Contributor

Re: Verizon Account in collections ***Happy's UPDATE***

@happy0510 wrote:

@acrylic51 wrote:

I think so too.  I should be able to get it removed by Verizon.  Afterall, I am a VZW, FIOS, Internet, & Home Phone Customer!  Smiley Very Happy

So I wanted to update you all on what was shown in the report.  To my surprise there were no collections in the collection section showing from AFNI.

AFNI was nowhere to be found on the report.

HOWEVER, Verizon was showing under the accounts section with a zero balance and listed as a "PAID COLLECTION". 

It updated when paid and dropped his score in January. 

I have never seen anything reported like this!

This is his only derog and I'm sure he will be over 760 without it because all other factors in his file point that way. He's at a 701 right now.

Thoughts?

Message 7 of 13
ThetoriParadox
Frequent Contributor

Re: Verizon Account in collections ***Happy's UPDATE***

You can try to GW Verizon and have them remove it.

RE-BUILD 2.0
Venmo Card- Mission Lane-Cap1 Walmart- Amex Optima- Cap1 QS- Cap 1 QS1- NFCU Nrewards Secured- Williams Sonoma- Care Credit- Grain- scores hovering around 644-653
Message 8 of 13
lmashimaru
Valued Member

Try your hardest to get verizon to buy it back from collections or to get them to agree to remove the negative impact before you pay them. I have a VW account that went to collection and i paid in full back then before even trying this. Fast forward now they wont remove it ... GW and calls arent working, but be persistant. Good Luck!

Experian - 749 Equifax - 765 Transunion - 756 [ FAKO EnhancedITP Pulled 06/07/2014 ]
Cards:
Chase [Sapphire Preferred - $5000] :: [Freedom - $ 2000] :: [Slate - $500] :: [Amazon Visa - $1000]
Barclays [Arrival + - $900]
In the Garden for a long time now that I've gotten the cards i want.
Message 9 of 13
happy0510
Established Contributor

@lmashimaru wrote:

Try your hardest to get verizon to buy it back from collections or to get them to agree to remove the negative impact before you pay them. I have a VW account that went to collection and i paid in full back then before even trying this. Fast forward now they wont remove it ... GW and calls arent working, but be persistant. Good Luck!

IBut I That's exactly what happened here though. The collection company is not reporting.
Verizon is the one reporting the negative information on this account!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.