Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon Landline (need advice)

tag
hificat
Established Member

Verizon Landline (need advice)

Hi all. I'm seeking advice on getting a Verizon Landline collection deleted. Through a series of events too long and confusing to relate, I got behind on a Verizon landline bill in early-mid 2012. I was probably about 3 months behind, and went to my acct online and paid the bill. About 2 weeks later, I get a letter from a collection agency seeking collection of the amount I just recently paid. I contacted the CA (EOS/CCA), and was unable to come to an arrangement with them, but immediately after the call, went to my Verizon online acct, and sure enough there was a credit on my acct for what I had paid, minus the next months service that had come due while I was dealing with EOS. IOW, I paid the bill, THEN Verizon turned it over for collections. With the help of members on this forum, I reached out to a couple people at EOS/CCA, just before Christmas, and was informed by them that they had returned the debt to the OC, and that they themselves hadn't reported it to the credit rating agencies. I pulled a report yesterday, and confirmed that it was in fact Verizon who did the reporting. 

I plan on calling Verizon today, and trying to settle this. I REALLY need to get this off my credit report (planning on doing a refi very soon), but understand Verizon is the worst imaginable company to get to do a delete. Considering my payment history will clearly show that I paid the bill BEFORE they turned it in for collections and reported it, do I have a legal leg to stand on if I don't get anywhere on the phone with them today? 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Verizon Landline (need advice)

You say the bill was about 3 weeks late?  Not even 30 days late?  Yes, I'd contact them and see if they will delete.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 16
hificat
Established Member

Sorry Shogun, not 3 weeks, 3 months. But my point is, the bill still showed up in my online acct, I paid it, THEN they did the write off on it after I paid it, and sent it to collections. When I checked my acct a few weeks after I had paid, instead of a zero balance, I had a credit on my acct. 

Message 3 of 16
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

My bad, speed reading.  I'd send a GW and see if they will delete.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 16
Jutz
Valued Contributor

If you have a leg to stand on, Verizon isn't too bad.  If it's straight up goodwill you're looking for, it's going to be tough.  Was any amount of money every 90+ days late?  120+?  If you managed to pay it down below 90 days past due prior to the charge off you may be able to make it work.  I'd attempt to file an executive office case.  This will allow you to work with people who have the ability to delete.  If they give you a hard time about opening the case, file a BBB complaint and it will automatically flag for an EO case.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 5 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The legal issue is whether the OC contracted with the debt collector prior to the date of payment of the debt.

Once the debt collector has legitimate collection authority and the debt is unpaid, they can report that activity to the CRA.  Payment of the debt does not negate the fact of their having had collection authority.

Kinda chinsy to report if they knew the debt had already been paid, but not per se improper.

They are required to close the collection and report a $0 balance under collection, but not to delete the reporting.

Maybe the OC will contact their debt collector on your behalf, and persuade them as a mattter of equity to delete.  It also reflects negatively on the OC.

Message 6 of 16
hificat
Established Member

I'd estimate the bill was 90 days behind, because the amount of the collection was less than $200, which means its less than what 3 months of service cost me.

I hate to say it, because I don't have any proof whatsoever, but I've always been suspicious as to why it got turned into collections as I have a fried that was going through a VERY acrimonious divorce at the time, and his wife was a big wig manager with Verizon landline at the time this happened.
Message 7 of 16
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The legal issue is whether the OC contracted with the debt collector prior to the date of payment of the debt.

Once the debt collector has legitimate collection authority and the debt is unpaid, they can report that activity to the CRA.  Payment of the debt does not negate the fact of their having had collection authority.

Kinda chinsy to report if they knew the debt had already been paid, but not per se improper.

They are required to close the collection and report a $0 balance under collection, but not to delete the reporting.

Maybe the OC will contact their debt collector on your behalf, and persuade them as a mattter of equity to delete.  It also reflects negatively on the OC.

OP says the CA is no longer reporting the account, only Verizon, the OC, is reporting it as a charge off.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 8 of 16
hificat
Established Member

Just to add a little more clarity to this situation, I still owe this money. When I paid the debt, they threw it to the collection agency, and stripped the debt off my acct, which left me with a negative balance on my acct (a credit). I just let that credit ride on my acct for the next several months to pay my bill. Haven't paid it yet as I'm trying to preserve some small amount of leverage. 

Message 9 of 16
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

@hificat wrote:

Just to add a little more clarity to this situation, I still owe this money. When I paid the debt, they threw it to the collection agency, and stripped the debt off my acct, which left me with a negative balance on my acct (a credit). I just let that credit ride on my acct for the next several months to pay my bill. Haven't paid it yet as I'm trying to preserve some small amount of leverage. 

Hificat-

I know you can get this off your report because I did it. Verizon agreed to GW over the phone and mine was more delinquent than yours.

People on here will tell you it's impossible and Verizon doesn't do it, but at times they have as I can attest. You have to be willing to make a few calls and not take no for an answer, but you will eventually get a person who will agree to help. As a caveat, it might make a difference what the rest of your profile looks like. For me, I had no other delinquencies in my history when this went to chargeoff, so that may have helped my plea with them. (I forgot to update my address when I moved. I had already paid the "final bill" but they sent another one, and kept sending mail to that old address until it went to charge-off status. So I found out 2 years later I owed them $185)

PM me and I can give you the number to call and the person who might be able to help you. 

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 754
Goal Score: 800

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.