Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon PFD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Verizon PFD

You should try to contact the BBB and dispute it on the grounds of promissory estoppel.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You should try to contact the BBB and dispute it on the grounds of promissory estoppel.

Thank you! I will do some research on this but could you explain a bit more of how this works in my stiaution?

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok you paid the amount due for 3 months of 90 dollars under the promise that you would receive service, that promise was not fulfilled, so they breached a verbal contract, they shouldn't have taken your money, or you should have been refunded the 90 dollars.(even though you owed this you paid/purchased more service under the promise your tablet would be activated).  I think its also a bad business practice to require a security deposit while under contract, I would argue should have been when the contract was started, they violated the terms of the contract, so a termination fee should be invalid. For example if you have a car lease, and you were late a few months but became up to date/paid late fees(under the promise you could keep the car if you were up to date), and now they are requiring another 1000 dollar security deposit for you to keep the car.  You could argue they could cancel your contract, but not require something that wasn't previously stated when you purchased your plan/tablet.  Hope this helps good luck.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok you paid the amount due for 3 months of 90 dollars under the promise that you would receive service, that promise was not fulfilled, so they breached a verbal contract, they shouldn't have taken your money, or you should have been refunded the 90 dollars.(even though you owed this you paid/purchased more service under the promise your tablet would be activated).  I think its also a bad business practice to require a security deposit while under contract, I would argue should have been when the contract was started, they violated the terms of the contract, so a termination fee should be invalid. For example if you have a car lease, and you were late a few months but became up to date/paid late fees(under the promise you could keep the car if you were up to date), and now they are requiring another 1000 dollar security deposit for you to keep the car.  You could argue they could cancel your contract, but not require something that wasn't previously stated when you purchased your plan/tablet.  Hope this helps good luck.

yes this is exactly how i feel. Do you think this would work with Verizon? How would I go about bringing this to their attention? Would I have to lawyer up? I'm going to find the origina contract tomorrow but not exactly sure what I should look for. I know the original contract said nothing about me having to put a security deposit... I think the deposit was requested because of the late payments (although the account was still under contract and never cancelled at this point)

And yes this does help as it gives me hope. Just don't know where/how to start. Don't want to ask for too much but would appreciate if you could PM me and/or send me an alternate way I could contact you for quicker response? (If thats OK with the forum)

Thank you again.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if anything has changed as far as Verizons contract between now and when I signed up but here's what I pulled up:

ABOUT MY PAYMENTS

If you're a Postpay customer and we don't get your payment on time, we will charge you a late fee of up to 1.5 percent per month (18 percent per year) on the unpaid balance, or a flat $5 per month, whichever is greater, if allowed by law in the state of your billing address. (If you choose another company to bill you for our Service [such as another Verizon company], late fees are set by that company or by its tariffs and may be higher than our late fees.) Late fees are part of the rates and charges you agree to pay us. If you fail to pay on time and Verizon Wireless refers your account(s) to a third party for collection, a collection fee will be assessed and will be due at the time of the referral to the third party. The fee will be calculated at the maximum percentage permitted by applicable law, not to exceed 18 percent. We may require a deposit at the time of activation or afterward, or an increased deposit. We'll pay simple interest on any deposit at the rate the law requires. We may apply deposits or payments in any order to any amounts you owe us on any account. If your final credit balance is less than $1, we will refund it only if you ask. You may have to pay a $35 fee to re–activate Service if your Service is terminated , or a $15 fee to reconnect Service if it is interrupted for non–payment or suspended for any reason.

What do you think about this?

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.