cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon Paid Collection - Continue to Fight or Throw in the Towel?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Verizon Paid Collection - Continue to Fight or Throw in the Towel?

Long story short: I had a $93 paid collection with Verizon Wireless in 2013. Not disputing that - it's accurate. Sincere goodwill letters at the time failed to remove the item from my credit reports, and I eventually gave up.

Now it's four years later (2017) and my FICO score has recovered to 732. I should be happy, right? Except that my FICO score used to be 805 before the paid collection. It just bothers me that my FICO score is still hurting from a four-year old $93 item.

Should I leave well enough alone, or should I make one more try for a goodwill removal? As time goes on my FICO score will gradually improve and in another 3 years the paid collection should drop off my credit reports altogether. Nevertheless, I want my FICO score to be the best that it can be.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Verizon Paid Collection - Continue to Fight or Throw in the Towel?

Somewhere on this board I read of a goodwill letter technique that has had success with stubborn creditors. I'd keep trying even if they say no, I don't have time to search for the goodwill link. Good luck and I'm interested how it goes.
Message 2 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Long story short: I had a $93 paid collection with Verizon Wireless in 2013. Not disputing that - it's accurate. Sincere goodwill letters at the time failed to remove the item from my credit reports, and I eventually gave up.

Now it's four years later (2017) and my FICO score has recovered to 732. I should be happy, right? Except that my FICO score used to be 805 before the paid collection. It just bothers me that my FICO score is still hurting from a four-year old $93 item.

Should I leave well enough alone, or should I make one more try for a goodwill removal? As time goes on my FICO score will gradually improve and in another 3 years the paid collection should drop off my credit reports altogether. Nevertheless, I want my FICO score to be the best that it can be.

With COs and Collections if they are not updating and they then update it looks like it just happened in the eyes of Fico, as it ages back from last report date your Fico will again begin to rise. You keep trying to get a GW deletion from them put them on a regular schedule.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry but I don't understand your reply.

"With COs and Collections if they are not updating and they then update it looks like it just happened in the eyes of Fico, as it ages back from last report date ... "

I'm not trying to update my paid collection; I'm trying to have it removed altogether.

"You keep trying to get a GW deletion from them put them on a regular schedule."

I don't know what 'put them on a regular schedule' means. But it seems that you feel that I should continue asking for a goodwill deletion, even four years after this item was originally placed on my credit reports - is that correct?

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

"With COs and Collections if they are not updating and they then update it looks like it just happened in the eyes of Fico, as it ages back from last report date ... "

I'm not trying to update my paid collection; I'm trying to have it removed altogether.

"You keep trying to get a GW deletion from them put them on a regular schedule."

I don't know what 'put them on a regular schedule' means. But it seems that you feel that I should continue asking for a goodwill deletion, even four years after this item was originally placed on my credit reports - is that correct?

Don't worry about it. Yours is paid and that statement does not apply to your situation...

Never give up and throw in the towel. Stay the course and continue trying goodwill. Send one to each of the board of directors begging for a goodwill adjustment. Then start back with the CEO.

Message 5 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes you send a letter every so often asking for the GW. No more than once a month, the older something gets the better the odds of granting the request.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Send a goodwill letter to upper management every month or so. And rotate the higher ups you already sent to. Another words, you should send a GW letter to someone within the organization monthly.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Keep your chin up. Good luck.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.