Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Established Member
0 Kudos

Verizon Paid Collection - Continue to Fight or Throw in the Towel?

Long story short: I had a $93 paid collection with Verizon Wireless in 2013. Not disputing that - it's accurate. Sincere goodwill letters at the time failed to remove the item from my credit reports, and I eventually gave up.

Now it's four years later (2017) and my FICO score has recovered to 732. I should be happy, right? Except that my FICO score used to be 805 before the paid collection. It just bothers me that my FICO score is still hurting from a four-year old $93 item.

Should I leave well enough alone, or should I make one more try for a goodwill removal? As time goes on my FICO score will gradually improve and in another 3 years the paid collection should drop off my credit reports altogether. Nevertheless, I want my FICO score to be the best that it can be.

0 Kudos

Re: Verizon Paid Collection - Continue to Fight or Throw in the Towel?

Somewhere on this board I read of a goodwill letter technique that has had success with stubborn creditors. I'd keep trying even if they say no, I don't have time to search for the goodwill link. Good luck and I'm interested how it goes.
0 Kudos

BulldogX wrote:

Long story short: I had a $93 paid collection with Verizon Wireless in 2013. Not disputing that - it's accurate. Sincere goodwill letters at the time failed to remove the item from my credit reports, and I eventually gave up.

Now it's four years later (2017) and my FICO score has recovered to 732. I should be happy, right? Except that my FICO score used to be 805 before the paid collection. It just bothers me that my FICO score is still hurting from a four-year old $93 item.

Should I leave well enough alone, or should I make one more try for a goodwill removal? As time goes on my FICO score will gradually improve and in another 3 years the paid collection should drop off my credit reports altogether. Nevertheless, I want my FICO score to be the best that it can be.

With COs and Collections if they are not updating and they then update it looks like it just happened in the eyes of Fico, as it ages back from last report date your Fico will again begin to rise. You keep trying to get a GW deletion from them put them on a regular schedule.

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne
Established Member
0 Kudos

I'm sorry but I don't understand your reply.

"With COs and Collections if they are not updating and they then update it looks like it just happened in the eyes of Fico, as it ages back from last report date ... "

I'm not trying to update my paid collection; I'm trying to have it removed altogether.

"You keep trying to get a GW deletion from them put them on a regular schedule."

I don't know what 'put them on a regular schedule' means. But it seems that you feel that I should continue asking for a goodwill deletion, even four years after this item was originally placed on my credit reports - is that correct?

Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

BulldogX wrote:

"With COs and Collections if they are not updating and they then update it looks like it just happened in the eyes of Fico, as it ages back from last report date ... "

I'm not trying to update my paid collection; I'm trying to have it removed altogether.

"You keep trying to get a GW deletion from them put them on a regular schedule."

I don't know what 'put them on a regular schedule' means. But it seems that you feel that I should continue asking for a goodwill deletion, even four years after this item was originally placed on my credit reports - is that correct?

Don't worry about it. Yours is paid and that statement does not apply to your situation...

Never give up and throw in the towel. Stay the course and continue trying goodwill. Send one to each of the board of directors begging for a goodwill adjustment. Then start back with the CEO.

AMEX BCP $9000- DCU Platinum $10000- PenFed Power $11000- Chase FU $11700- AMEX EDP $15000- NFCU CLOC $15000- Chase CSP $18900- Penfed Promise $25000- NFCU Go Rewards $27100- Venture $27750 **As of 8/14/17** EX- 748(22) TU- 756(19) EQ- 728(14) UTI 12%- Clean Files-
0 Kudos

BulldogX wrote:

Yes you send a letter every so often asking for the GW. No more than once a month, the older something gets the better the odds of granting the request.

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne
Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

Send a goodwill letter to upper management every month or so. And rotate the higher ups you already sent to. Another words, you should send a GW letter to someone within the organization monthly.

AMEX BCP $9000- DCU Platinum $10000- PenFed Power $11000- Chase FU $11700- AMEX EDP $15000- NFCU CLOC $15000- Chase CSP $18900- Penfed Promise $25000- NFCU Go Rewards $27100- Venture $27750 **As of 8/14/17** EX- 748(22) TU- 756(19) EQ- 728(14) UTI 12%- Clean Files-
Established Member

Okay, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

BulldogX wrote:

Okay, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Keep your chin up. Good luck.

0 Kudos

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.