cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon Wireless Collection

tag
DylanGurU

Verizon Wireless Collection

Hey All nice to finally put a post up here wish it was under better circumstances. I have been having issues with Verizon wireless collection account did a assumption of liability about 4 days after i setup account to family member that had a monthly discount. Long story short i just saw a collection account pop up from verizon wireless today on my EX, i have been speaking with them sense my first collection notice because the balance they were requesting is 156 and is inaccurate and was trying to explain my initial activation fees were promised to be waived by the manager at the verizon corporate store i setup service. Long story short it would of been 120 less so i would of gladly paid it before it was reported i informed them the billing was in dispute please not report the information but of course they did anyways i work for a credit repair law firm and am somewhat familiar with the process of what to do but they are in violation of the FBPA by charging me the incorrect amount still in process of getting the store to correct the information was wondering do you think i could have there collections department i belive is still with them to remove it because of the violation after paid my company only sends standard GW letters and or debt validation letters wanted to try to have verizon remove first or would u start to challenge the negative immediatley im sure alot of u are aware but dropped me from a 754 to a 623 because it was reported this month. Anyways sorry for my ramble and thanks for all of your help!!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Verizon Wireless Collection

Kinda unclear as to whether they reported as an OC on delinquency on their account, or as a debt collector.

Normally, an OC is not a debt collector, and thus not subject to the FDCPA.

However, the FDCPA stipulates that if they use any name in their collection efforts other than their name that clearly identifes them as the OC, an OC becomes a debt collector, and thus subject to the FDCPA.

Was their reporting that of a collection, or of a continued delinquency with them, or was the reporting under a subsidiary name that might infer that it was reported by a debt collector?

The fact that a consumer disputes a debt does not preclude them or their debt collector from reporting to the CRA.

If they are a debt collector, you can send a timely DV and block additional reporting until they have first provided verification of the debt, but a DV is not retroactive to any prior reporting, and thus would not compel deletion.  If they are not a debt collector, you can file a direct dispute, which requires response within 30 days, but does not compel any cessation of collection activities.

Neither a DV nor a dispute under the FCRA compels them to provide documentation in support of ther verification, so you may only receive theri determination that they have investigated and find the debt or reporting to be accrate.

Message 2 of 3
DylanGurU

Re: Verizon Wireless Collection

h ey Robert thanks for your response a little more info for you bud it's showing as Verizon Wireless being the collector so the OC is trying to be the debt collector and I'm going to try to contact them later today during business hours since it was kind of a mess up on their part but if not DV like you said I work for add credit repair firm but like I said just new so getting used to it is there any way that you could recommend that have sample DV letters or GW letters?thanks again to your help and anyone else that chimes in
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.