Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon sold account to collection agency who wants to settle

tag
LoveGoodCredit
Frequent Contributor

Verizon sold account to collection agency who wants to settle

Hey guys,

Verizon sold my account of 772 to a collection agency.  I got a letter from them and they are willing to settle the debt for 502.00.   I have 425.00 I could put on the account and pay itoff.  Should I try that?  They said they would not put it on my credit reports and markt it settled, paid in full for verizon.  Also, should I send the a check with the paid in full amount on it and put something on my notes on the check  about not reporting it to the agencies?

Thanks!

Starting Score:
August Equifax 558 TU 600 EX 570
Current Score: Equifax FICO 642 TU FICO662 EX 651 (credit.com) 06/21/2013
Goal Score: 720 All Across

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Verizon sold account to collection agency who wants to settle

You can always counter offer with a settlement for less than their offer.  It is a negotiation.

Did they offer not to report a collection at all, or only to not report settled for less?

If their offer was both for a settlement for less and no reporting, I would do my best to meet their terms.

Countering for less will involve their new acceptance of not reporting, which is a big factor.

Message 2 of 4
LoveGoodCredit
Frequent Contributor

They offered 500.00 payment and not report it. to the agencies.  I want to write a check though, not over the phone so I at least have a paper trail.  Its in dispute from LL with no payment history right now.  LL is working to get verizon removed which is on there as a collection. And yes, they will not report it as a collection account.

Starting Score:

Message 3 of 4
LoveGoodCredit
Frequent Contributor

What should I do???

Starting Score:

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.