Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon

tag
movinup1
New Contributor

Verizon

Need some advice... I've been a Verizon Cable/Internet customer for several years.  In 2009 or so, a they placed a collection on my reports, while I was a current customer.  When I first noticed it, I wasn't really concerned about my credit scores & repots, so I just ignored it.  Well, when I started rebuilding a year or so ago, I decided I wanted it gone.  Still a Verizon customer, mind  you, I called and inquired, and didn't get anywhere with it.  I wrote several PFD letter and got no response.  Fast forward to October 2012... I cancelled my services with Verizon, because I couldn't afford it and fell behind on paying my final bill.  Their collection agency EOS CCA contacted me in January 2013 and offered me a payment plan.  They were also the ones who explained to me that the reason I had the old collection was from a time when I moved and transferred service.  Turns out that Verizon did not transfer to my new addresss, but instead opened a new account.  I was unaware, if I did get any sort of final bill from the previous service address, I would have assumed it was part of the current bills I was already getting monthly anyway.  The collection agency told me that they did not report, and that by paying them, I would avoid Verizon placing a collection account on my reports.  In the middle rebuilding, that sounded good to me and I agreed to 3 payments of $82.  The first payment was in January, and the last payment was in March. 

Now, in June 2013 I looked at my reports and see TWO collection accounts being reported from Verizon!  Both report $0 paid collection.  the seocnd (newest) one was first reported in February--after I made my first payment to the collection agency!  I wrote a very nice email to the CEO, describing my situation and asking for a courtesy/goodwill deletion.  Within an hour got a call from the "executive team" inquiring about my letter.  Basically they said that they'll research the first collection account to see if it was reported correctly.  As far as the second account, they're not in control of what the collection agencies say, and will not budge on deleting that one, even though their agent "misrepresented" them.  Of course I called the collection agency and the supervisor basically said that he is in no position to send deletion request for Verizon, that they do not report for Verizon, and that he can review the call to better train his staff in the future.  Blah, blah, blah... 

At this point, I'm about to write to the CRA's and give them the information about Verizon's collection agent promising to not report, and see if that helps.  If that doesn't work, I'm prepared to send GW letters every month for the next 7 years... I'm so frustrated!  Any thoughts on what I should do next?  Has anyone had any success with Verizon? 

Thanks,

KP

Starting Score: 498
Current Score: 660
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
nativenyer
Frequent Contributor

Re: Verizon

Do you have receipts for the payments you made on the second collection? I would send a copy of that and a letter to the credit bureaus and dispute it. They should not have reported it after you paid it.
Message 2 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Can you please clarify some things?

Who exactly is reporting?  And did you talk to the CA or directly to Verizon.

If you talked to EOS and they said they would not report then file a complaint with the BBB.

Message 3 of 7
p-
Valued Contributor

movinup1 wrote:Has anyone had any success with Verizon?

GFL with that one...  They did the same thing to me in 07.  Said I had a balance after moving, agreed to accept payments and not put it on my report, then did it anyway.  Plus, they had CO codes in the payment field for months after I paid it off.  I wrote GW letters, EO letters, talked multiple times with their exec office and credit people, but no luck.  I even went as far as BBB and FTC complaints, and nothing.

If you find a way to get this fixed, let me know.  Definitely do a BBB and FTC complaint, maybe someone will notice if there is more than one.

Message 4 of 7
movinup1
New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.  To clarify:

Verizon is reporting. 

I spoke to both the collection agency, and Verizon.  The collection agency denied fault, stating that they "do not report FOR Verizon."  So they are in no position to request that Verizon delete the derog from my reports. 

When I spoke to Verizon, they said that they are not responsible for what the collection agencies say or promise to consumers.  "Verizon employs several agencies and uses several methods to collect on outstanding balances.  If the debt was past due, then it should have been reported, and it was.  Our reporting is accurate.  I'm sorry for whatever misinformation the collection agency gave you." --Kevin, Verizon Exec Team Cust Svc. 

Will file complaint with BBB. Hadn't thought of that. 

Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@movinup1 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.  To clarify:

Verizon is reporting. 

I spoke to both the collection agency, and Verizon.  The collection agency denied fault, stating that they "do not report FOR Verizon."  So they are in no position to request that Verizon delete the derog from my reports.  The collection agency is absolutely correct.  They do not and cannot report FOR Verizon.  Verizon is responsbilbe for reporting their own TL.  If the CA were to report it would be their TL and not Verizons.

When I spoke to Verizon, they said that they are not responsible for what the collection agencies say or promise to consumers.  "Verizon employs several agencies and uses several methods to collect on outstanding balances.  If the debt was past due, then it should have been reported, and it was.  Our reporting is accurate.  I'm sorry for whatever misinformation the collection agency gave you." --Kevin, Verizon Exec Team Cust Svc. 

Will file complaint with BBB. Hadn't thought of that.   It could if the CA promised you they would not report their TL but did anyway.

Message 6 of 7
movinup1
New Contributor

*** UPDATE ***

Verizon's executive team called me back today to say that after further investigation, they found that the first collection accout was not accurately reported, and that a request for deletion would be sent to all three CRA's.  Basically he agreed that the new account shouldn't have been opened, when I requested a service transfer.  The deletion request will be sent in 7-10 days, with a copy of the request coming to me also.  He gave me a control number to keep for my records as well. 

I'm going to wait until the first one is deleted, and then appeal to the CRA's to delete the second account, based on the promise from the CA. 

Thankful, even for the small victories....

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.