Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Verizon

I've called and written GW letters to Verizon Wireless...I paid off my old debt to them (I didn't know at the time to send a PIF letter) but they won't remove the collection saying they must accurately report it.
Has anyone had any luck with them? 
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Verizon

We moved from NYC to LA and the very last ten days of service on Verizon Land Line was billed and didn't forward. Never knew I had a balance with them. The horrendous amount was all of $64.94.

I paid it once I got the bill. STUPID MISTAKE! Then I called and ask for a deletion of the collection account. Got the same pat answer. "Must report accurately...blah blah blah". (Don't ya love these grunts who are trained to tell you this garbage day after day after day? They are to be pitied in my opinion. They're too dumb to realize they are not making much sense.)

Anyway, (sorry for the diatribe) - I called and then sent a GW deletion letter. After all, I'd paid them thousands over the years we were in NYC. No luck. NONE AT ALL. So then I sent the same GW letter to the CEO's office at Verizon Corporate. I included copies of my old bills for the year before we moved to LA. The total was over $3500! That got a response. They changed the account from collection to paid in full. Still a lousy collection but now a paid one.

Second round of GW letters a month later. One to the "standard" address and one to the Presidents Office. Didn't mention I'd written before, of course. Included copies of the years past bills again.

This time it worked. Someone took pity or was struck with reason. The account was deleted. Boom. Just went away. I didn't even know it until I got an alert and found my score went up 15 points in one day! Fifteen points for a year old $65 dollar collection account! **bleep**.

The moral of the story seems to be persistence. Keep hammering on them. Do not make reference in having written before. Maybe someone new will see it and feel kindly toward you. Who knows? But it worked. Took a total of five letters (thank heaven for computers) over a period of two months. And photocopying the old bills to prove I'd been a fairly good (far too good) customer for the preceding year before we moved.

The same techniques will probably work with V- Wireless although they are a separate but related company.
Message 2 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

VZW is tough. I'm dealing with them for an unpaid CO. I've sent dozens of PFDs without many responses at all. I do know they will delete if the account gets sold to a CA, so says VZW.

Best advice I can give is keep sending out the GWs. If you need any addresses, send me a PM and I'll be happy to help. You can also try calling them. Wouldn't hurt.

Message Edited by llecs on 06-26-2008 05:40 PM
Message 3 of 10
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Im dealing with them on the behalf of my mom, i finally got a response from after the sending 3 letters, they denied the GW letter, i am now writing a more personal GW letter for in hopes they will have pity!
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

After moving from California, my bill didn't forward resulting in a CO. Like some of the previous responses, I too succeeded with persistence. I never GW'd via mail though. I simply called their recovery line. The lady was compassionate and removed the TL about 45 secs into the conversation.
Message 5 of 10
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Are you talking about the "National Recovery" line? Out of Folsom, CA?
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I would try any addresses you could give me...I just sent my GW letter to the address on an old bill.  I had absolutely NO luck on the phone with them...even got to a supervisor.  This is my biggest baddie, too!  I paid them and two weeks later it showed up on my CR and I lost 45 points!  They said they hit the CR's a week BEFORE(delay in the CR's reporting..they even sent me a screen shot of the entry with the date I paid them and the date they reported), and tough luck was all they had to say.
Hoping a GW letter will hit some Rep who just paid dearly at the gas pump and grocery store and might take pity on me!!
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure where it was. I pretty sure it was the number provided on the CL. If not, contact Verizon and have them transfer you there.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

678-339-4000 the atlanta executive office. ask for that dept.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great!  Thank you, I'm going to try that number and I'll let everyone know how it turns out
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.