Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Small (less than $20) Medical Collections Mystery

tag
panicattack
Valued Member

Very Small (less than $20) Medical Collections Mystery

I have 13 very small medical collections from the smae CA that are killing my credit score.  I have sent a PFD letter and was turned down.  I have no idea what these bills are even for.  I have sent a validation letter and they responded with a telephone call saying the debts are legit.  I asked for a written response and they said they don't do that.  I wrote to Equifax and told them they did not respond to my verify letter and they ruled in the CA's favor. 

Does anybody have any advice on how I should handle this matter?  Will paying the small amount due help me or make no difference at all?

Start 2013 500s
Current: EX: 742 EQ: 599 TU: 725 (in the garden until 2015)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myfreshstart27
Established Member

Re: Very Small (less than $20) Medical Collections Mystery

Seems odd that they only want to communicate through telephone... I want to hear veteran responses/opinions about this situation.

age: 24 | status: rebuilding mode | short term goal: 650 | long term goal: 800
Message 2 of 6
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Are all 13 handled by the same CA?  And you don't understand what they're for?  They have to provide you with verification of debt.  They could be a scammer, or God only knows what.

I had an issue with something similar.  I filed with the BBB and the CA got themselves together lickety split.  Check your inbox, sending you a PM.

Message 3 of 6
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

I have had more luck on the phone and willing to pay but also saying I wanted some help from them for clearing it up.

Some will tell you, Sorry but you did it and we are not taking it off,

Hope you get it sorted !

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 4 of 6
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

A debt is a debt and a collection agency must follow the Rules and provide validation.  How does one know if they're even authorized to collect?  How does one know if the amounts are correct?  One doesn't....that's why rules have been put into place.  I had a med. ca try this crap on me and it didn't fly...not for one second.  For my troubles, they agreed to a full deletion of the account, which happened immediately.

I don't pay one single cent without validation.   Personally, I'd like to see a law insisting on full removal of paid medical debts.  With what medical costs, most people cannot pay their balances right away.  And some hospitals just send it immediately to their collection agency (who works on a continency probably).  A local hospital sent my dh's bills out after 60 days.  I didn't even have time to double check insurances (which there were ERRORS), etc.  It's just B.S.

Message 5 of 6
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

I so agree with ya fish, shouldnt be an issue if the thing is paid.  thats the one i am having a problem with ( paid collection ).   Had a stroke in 07, i got charges from a pediatric unit....... I mean seriously...

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.