Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very low score - lack of credit history - confusing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very low score - lack of credit history - confusing

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Long story short when I was about 22 or 23 I would apply for credit cards to work on my credit (going to be used for gas etc) and I was declined for lack of credit history. Someone told me about CreditKarma.com and when I created an account on there it said my score was 550 ouch. Well I am 25 now, still no credit card and so far everything I see on my credit report is medical related.

$350 collections for a wisdom tooth

~$7,000.00 in medcial I can assume was from a surgery I had about 4 or 5 years ago.

Other than that there are dings from various places like SEARS checking my credit score. I'm wondering how I can build this back up because I always pay rent, power etc on time but when I was younger I did not have a way to pay for the surgery I had and I did not have any for of insurnace. I have been trying to do some of my own research but nothing seems to give me a straight forward answer. Are there ANY credit cards I can apply for to start building my credit back up? or should I have a couple more years for those medical bills to drop off? will my score bounce up after they are dropped off or will I be getting that "lack of credit history" bunk again?

One last thing, a friend of mine said he goes to Harry Richies and buys himself (or his wife) jewelry now and then that he has to make payments on and that helps bump his credit back up. I have not looked into this much but figured I would bring it up while I was on here. Thank you again.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Very low score - lack of credit history - confusing

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Long story short when I was about 22 or 23 I would apply for credit cards to work on my credit (going to be used for gas etc) and I was declined for lack of credit history. Someone told me about CreditKarma.com and when I created an account on there it said my score was 550 ouch. Well I am 25 now, still no credit card and so far everything I see on my credit report is medical related.

$350 collections for a wisdom tooth

~$7,000.00 in medcial I can assume was from a surgery I had about 4 or 5 years ago.

Other than that there are dings from various places like SEARS checking my credit score. I'm wondering how I can build this back up because I always pay rent, power etc on time but when I was younger I did not have a way to pay for the surgery I had and I did not have any for of insurnace. I have been trying to do some of my own research but nothing seems to give me a straight forward answer. Are there ANY credit cards I can apply for to start building my credit back up? or should I have a couple more years for those medical bills to drop off? will my score bounce up after they are dropped off or will I be getting that "lack of credit history" bunk again?

One last thing, a friend of mine said he goes to Harry Richies and buys himself (or his wife) jewelry now and then that he has to make payments on and that helps bump his credit back up. I have not looked into this much but figured I would bring it up while I was on here. Thank you again.

Secured cards is what you need to go after. You eventually want 3 bankcards and 1 store card to help maximize your Fico score. If you want to settle those medical bills then Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help. You can try Cap-1 for a secured, then you can also check out the St Dept FCU they have a secured card program and also check out your local CUs to see if they have secured cards available. Good luck and welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

Adding: Credit Karma is a FAKO score and isnt used by any lender just use CK to monitor changes to your report. Fico scores are the ones lenders use to make lending decisions.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for the response and advice. I bank through a CU right now. I'll give them a ring and see if they have anything.

Message 3 of 5
Pway
Valued Contributor

Capital One is a good start when you are trying to rebuild your credit.  I would do the pre qualifier application to see what cards you qualify for. Credit Union is a great step as well.  Good Luck. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

All you need right now is one card for the next 6-8 months then you can app for better cards .
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.