Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very old debt resold to new CA

tag
CorwinMortac
Established Member

Very old debt resold to new CA

Hello all

I got a letter today from a CA claiming that they have been contracted by another CA to recover for an old account. The original creditor is now known as spring leaf and this was and old loan that the CA LmV had to stop reporting because of age.  Now of course they are requesting that I setup a payment plan but I know this debt is way too old to count or be reported on. The debt is so old I have none of my old records about it but I know that it was approx 9 years since the first missed payment. Should I send this company a dv or is there another letter anyone would recommend to shut these guys down asap.

Thanks

Starting Scores: TU 545 / EQ 523 / EX 534
June: MyFicoTU 602 / MyFicoEQ 589 / MyFicoEX 576
July: MyFicoTU 609 / MyFicoEQ 597 / MyFicoEX 594
August: MyFicoTU 599 / MyFicoEQ 610 / MyFicoEX 601
September: MyFicoTU 706 / MyFicoEQ 669 / MyFicoEX 698
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Very old debt resold to new CA

Yes, send them a DV.   See if they send anything back at all.  It's a Zombie debt.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
IamB2
Established Contributor

@CorwinMortac wrote:

Hello all

I got a letter today from a CA claiming that they have been contracted by another CA to recover for an old account. The original creditor is now known as spring leaf and this was and old loan that the CA LmV had to stop reporting because of age.  Now of course they are requesting that I setup a payment plan but I know this debt is way too old to count or be reported on. The debt is so old I have none of my old records about it but I know that it was approx 9 years since the first missed payment. Should I send this company a dv or is there another letter anyone would recommend to shut these guys down asap.

Thanks

Hi.. as Shogun suggested, send a DV letter and see what happens. Needless to say, if it is a valid debt you still are responsible for it and CAs can attempt to collect on it forever unless you send them a letter asking them to stop contacting you. Even then, they can probably sell it to another company, which means the other company can still contact you and you have to resend a new "stop contacting me" letter to the new collection company. Rinse and Repeat type of a thing.

With the debt being that old (as you mentioned the DOFD was about 9 years ago) this will not show up on your report - with a few exceptions as outlined in the section 605 of the FCRA.

(b) Exempted cases. The provisions of subsection (a) of this section are not applicable in the case of any consumer credit report to be used in connection with

(1) a credit transaction involving, or which may reasonably be expected to involve, a principal amount of $150,000 or more;

(2) the underwriting of life insurance involving, or which may reasonably be expected to involve, a face amount of $150,000 or more; or

(3) the employment of any individual at an annual salary which equals, or which may reasonably be expected to equal $75,000, or more.

For more information see RobertEG's post here. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/How-long-do-late-payments-stay-on-credit-...

hope this helps.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 3 of 4
savings4tomorrow
Regular Contributor

I had the same thing happen to me a couple months ago.  Got a letter from a debt that I know was at lease 10 years old.  It was for a Verizon landline that  i have not had in years!  I called Verizon and they could not even bring it up because it had been purged from their system.  I sent a DV and rec'd a letter with literally one line back stating they are no longer pursing the debt and consider the matter closed. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.