Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very old judgment, not in collections, but on credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very old judgment, not in collections, but on credit report

Hello!

I am fairly new to credit and recently (today!) paid off about $3k in current credit cards. I am all in good standing with those cards. My FAKO credit karma score puts me at 570s~, but my official FICO scores from Bank of America and Ally (where my car loan is), puts me at 602 for both. I haven't pulled my FICO score from here yet, but plan to.

Anyway, I have a judgment on my account. Back story - 7 years ago I shared an apartment with two other girls and they got heavy into drugs. I got approval from both the landlord and property manager to be let out of the lease. I unfortunately do not have that paperwork anymore. I was young and ignorant in college and just didn't save the papers. The other two women stayed in the apartment, but did not pay rent. Apparently, I was never taken off the lease!

So, there was a formal eviction filed, BUT nothing ever came of it. It was filed in the courts in Rhode Island, but was never persued further. The landlord ended up selling the property and the property management company is now out of business. The landlord also lived out of state. I tracked him down, called all available numbers AND sent letters to every address I could find. I've heard NOTHING back. I also called the lawyer they used to file the eviction and they unfortunately had no other information that what I already had to give me to contact the landlord or the property management company.

I've called the courts. The filing is so old it wasn't even put into the electronic system and I had to wait on hold while a lady went digging in boxes. I have already disputed the item and it came back as verified. I have the original eviction notice that I received after calling the state. It's literally just the paperwork. I did not live in that apartment and could verify it through an internet bill at the time when the eviction notice was filed, but that's it. NO one has contacted me about this debt. It appeared on my credit about 3 years ago, randomly, despite having been filed in 2010.

Is there anything I can do to get this judgment removed? It doesn't say eviction on any of my credit reports and it has NOT impacted me getting a rental since then, but it has dragged down my already poor credit score. My only other debt besides my student loans and car payment which I am current on both of those, is outstanding medical debt.

Or should I just wait for it to fall off? I don't know if it'll fall off later this year or in 10 years or 15... 

3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Very old judgment, not in collections, but on credit report

Filing of a civil complaint is not a civil judgment.

The complaint must then be tried, and a verdict issued.

Has the court actually posted a public record that shows a judgment was issued by the court?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Responding from my actual account... I forgot I made a myFICO account that had all of my scores on it. But it actually is a civil judgment. I have no idea if a judgment was issued, it has an amount put on it. I reached out the women living in the apartment, and they claim they never went to court or anything. I am assuming they just skipped out and the judgment was auto-award to the plaintiff?

And yes, it is a public record item, but nothing ever came of it....

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Responding from my actual account... I forgot I made a myFICO account that had all of my scores on it. But it actually is a civil judgment. I have no idea if a judgment was issued, it has an amount put on it. I reached out the women living in the apartment, and they claim they never went to court or anything. I am assuming they just skipped out and the judgment was auto-award to the plaintiff?

And yes, it is a public record item, but nothing ever came of it....

The SOL in your state will determine how long the judgment remains on your report, assuming there is no attempt to renew the judgment before it expires.  At this point in time, what are you hoping to accomplish?   The other girls obviously aren't concerned about the judgment and have moved on.  If you are wanting it removed, then the sole responsibility of paying it would fall to you.  The decision for you is--are you willing to ride this out hoping for exclusion?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.