Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Violation of FCRA?

tag
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Violation of FCRA?

I've posted here before regarding this matter but after looking over my current and old reports I believe the CU is violating my FCRA.

The CU has reaged the debt to show it as reporting in October of 2012 with a large balance as opposed to the original balance and date.  It originally was reporting as 2010, now it says report date is 2012 with $70+ added in fees. 

This is in fact a violation of the FCRA correct? 

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Re: Violation of FCRA?

No.  They can update whenever they want; that's not the same thing as reaging.  They are allowed to add interest and fees for as long as your debts go unpaid and there is nothing preventing them from updating the current balance.  Which report are you looking at?

FICO Scores 800+
Message 2 of 19
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

They have in fact reaged it as I said.  The original date of fall off was 2017, now it is 2019.  They themselves have told me that it would not have added any additional fee's since statements stopped cutting.   I'm looking at all three that say the same thing.

Message 3 of 19
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

They have in fact reaged it as I said.  The original date of fall off was 2017, now it is 2019.  They themselves have told me that it would not have added any additional fee's since statements stopped cutting.   I'm looking at all three that say the same thing.

If the fall off date has changed, the Date Reported is not to blame; the DOFD is the culprit.  Consequently, if the DOFD has changed, then yes, they are violating the FCRA.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 4 of 19
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Ha sorry I still haven't gotten the lingo down. 

Then yes they did violate, I have sent the an email telling them to delete if they do not I will report to the BBB, FTC and Attorney General.

Message 5 of 19
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

Then yes they did violate, I have sent the an email telling them to delete if they do not I will report to the BBB, FTC and Attorney General.

Hey, no problem.  Also, if you dispute with the CRA's and the CRA's don't delete (edit:  or fix, thanks guiness), you can file a complaint with the CFPB.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 6 of 19
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

You have the two DOFDs side by side to make comparisons?

Where did you get your reports from??

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 7 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The CRAs do not have to delete.  All they need to do is fix the error based on the information provided by the furnisher.

If the furnisher doesn't verify the dispute, or fails to respond then the CRA will delete.   But, it can be added back if the furnisher later verifies the information.  They you will have to be notified of its reinsertion within 5 days.

Message 8 of 19
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

As to ensure there's no confusion between, DOLA, and DOFD...

OP, are you looking at your DOFD from your equifax reports by chance?

Possibly it's just an updated collection, changing the date.. Nothing can change the true DOFD.

Message 9 of 19
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

The CRAs do not have to delete.  All they need to do is fix the error based on the information provided by the furnisher.

If the furnisher doesn't verify the dispute, or fails to respond then the CRA will delete.   But, it can be added back if the furnisher later verifies the information.  They you will have to be notified of its reinsertion within 5 days.

I revised my earlier statement.  Thanks for the correction.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.