Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Dismissal with Prejudice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Voluntary Dismissal with Prejudice

I was being sued by capital one in previous posts. So I hired a lawyer to help me out. My lawyer appeared in court for me and told me he believed they didn't have proper documentation and we would win the case. After 1 month they folded and sent my lawyer this Voluntary Dismissal with Prejudice. I know that my case is over and I will never have to pay them anything. However with this document is there anyway I can have the charge off removed from my credit reports?

On another note. I can't say how thankful I am for this board and everyone's information. So far I've saved thousands. My credit score is closing in on a 100 point increase on every CB. Thank you everyone!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Voluntary Dismissal with Prejudice

@Anonymous wrote:

I was being sued by capital one in previous posts. So I hired a lawyer to help me out. My lawyer appeared in court for me and told me he believed they didn't have proper documentation and we would win the case. After 1 month they folded and sent my lawyer this Voluntary Dismissal with Prejudice. I know that my case is over and I will never have to pay them anything. However with this document is there anyway I can have the charge off removed from my credit reports?

On another note. I can't say how thankful I am for this board and everyone's information. So far I've saved thousands. My credit score is closing in on a 100 point increase on every CB. Thank you everyone!

Not to rain on your parade, but Cap-1 can sell this debt and the JDB can proceed in any avenue they deem worth while including filing suit. I would assume that if Cap-1 didn't have proper documentation that the JDB would not either, but that doesn't mean they can't try. In addition, the "voluntary withdrawal" of a lawsuit by the plaintiff even with prejudice does not "discharge" the record of the debt, it just discharges the suit, so Cap-1 or the next JDB has no need or requirement to remove the correct reporting of the debt to the CRA's. Had you received a court ordered dismissal with prejudice you would be free and clear as far as debt collection and would have a good case for having the account removed from the CRA's since the court found you "not guilty" for whatever reason. I should add that in most cases, most JDB's will not sue to recover debts that have been previously "dismissed or withdrawn" in court, but I would closely watch this account to ensure it goes to SOL before you break out the champagne.

Further, since Cap-1 can not sue again on this same debt-account, if the amount is over $600, expect to get a 1099-C which means you have to pay (owe) taxes on the write off as regular income (there are exceptions such as you are insolvent which waive the "income" as taxable). 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response. My lawyer included some stipulations, however out of everything you mentioned the only thing that wasn't apart of it was removal of the account. That's why I asked.
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You are certainly free to initiate your own civil proceeding should you wish to pursue proof of non-legitimacy of the debt.

One basis in your complaint could be the inaccuracy of the asserted debt and thus basis for deletion of any collection on the debt.

Are you willing to pursue in court?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertEG wrote:

You are certainly free to initiate your own civil proceeding should you wish to pursue proof of non-legitimacy of the debt.

One basis in your complaint could be the inaccuracy of the asserted debt and thus basis for deletion of any collection on the debt.

Are you willing to pursue in court?

Yes I am, my lawyer suggested we do this. But I was hesitant because I thought I may be able to have it removed with the letter from their laywers. If not I am willing to pursue. I was willing to settle with them but it never got to that point because my lawyer said to wait it out as they don't have proper proof. I don't know how he knew this I guess it was in the paperwork that was filed with the court.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Implied in the posts is that you dont contest the actual validity of the debt, but rather prevailed because the burden was on them to first substantiate their claim of a debt.

If you initiate your own civil action, you will have the initial burden as the plaintiff of proof of your claim......

Do you have basis for establishing that the debt is not valid?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.