Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Repossesion

tag
AutumnH
New Contributor

Voluntary Repossesion

I'm not sure if this belongs in this section, but does anyone have any advice on Voluntary Repossesion? I have a car that I'm upside down in financed by Santander Consumer (18%) and it's a lemon. I want to get another one but I do not want that extra money tagged onto my new balance. Would you reccomend?

I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit after bankruptcy so my score is about 30 points higher than when I purchased the car. Wwyd?

Chapter 7 Discharged June 2015

Trying to rebuild
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Voluntary Repossesion

Repossesion, voluntary or not, is still going to ding your credit. 

You say it's a lemon? Most states have lemon laws ... you might want to look into that. 

Message 2 of 7
AutumnH
New Contributor

Ok. Thank you! I will look into it!

Trying to rebuild
Message 3 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Wait...is the vehicle used? Lemon Laws generally apply to new vehicles and not used. There are exceptions, so check into your state's statutes for Lemon Laws. 

Back to your question:  DO NOT GIVE THE CAR BACK if you are in the process of recovery after a Bk and this is the vehicle you purchased after your bk filing.  If this is the vehicle you purchased before your Ch 7 and it is IIB, then turning it back in won't result in a deficiency judgment for you so turning it in would be a non-event.

When did you purchase this vehicle - before you filed bk or afterward?

Message 4 of 7
AutumnH
New Contributor

Unfortunately its a used vehicle. i purchased it in June 2016 so yes its after my bankruptcy. My bankruptcy discharged in 2015. I guess I'll just have to pay it, and suffer the consequences at this high interest rate. Or maybe refinance after six months and with a lower note hopefully I won't feel so horrible about the mechanical problems.

Trying to rebuild
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I meant to ask about it being used too and I forgot

Message 6 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@AutumnH wrote:

Unfortunately its a used vehicle. i purchased it in June 2016 so yes its after my bankruptcy. My bankruptcy discharged in 2015. I guess I'll just have to pay it, and suffer the consequences at this high interest rate. Or maybe refinance after six months and with a lower note hopefully I won't feel so horrible about the mechanical problems.

Good decision.  I know this will sound a little silly, but when I get frustrated with my vehicle - and it happens occasionally - I get it detailed. It feels like a 'new to me' car again.

I do take care of my car mechanically because it is just what a responsible vehicle owner does and I have been in that habit for many, many years.

Getting a good mechanic is essential to taking care of your car. Taking it to the dealership for repairs results in higher costs and not necessarily better service. Find a mechanic that is knowledgeable and not associated with the dealership.

As to refinancing it, that is an excellent idea. Once your score has recovered enough then check with the credit unions mentioned here frequently or your own CU. 

If you have the ability to set aside funds in your savings, do that so you can pay down a lump sum when you refi if you need it. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.