Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary repossession

tag
jmichael24
Valued Member

Voluntary repossession

In July 2008 I had a voluntary repossession HFS. They never contacted me or anything until now, 6 years later saying I have defaulted on the loan and wanting to set a 12 month payment plan on the difference of $9500 and they transferred the debt to a debt collector.. Is there a SOL to collect this debt? Shouldn't this be removed from my CRs?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Voluntary repossession

@jmichael24 wrote:

In July 2008 I had a voluntary repossession HFS. They never contacted me or anything until now, 6 years later saying I have defaulted on the loan and wanting to set a 12 month payment plan on the difference of $9500 and they transferred the debt to a debt collector.. Is there a SOL to collect this debt? Shouldn't this be removed from my CRs?

Yes there is a SOL, it would be whatever your state allows for written contracts. The SOL sets a timetime for successful judgments once its past SOL your defense against a lawsuit is the SOL and that leads to auto dismissal. Debt collectors can attempt to collect forever, once its past the SOL and if you dont want to deal with them a FOAD letter would be in order.

Adding: In WI & MS the debt is considered dead at SOL and all collection actions must stop.

Message 2 of 3
jmichael24
Valued Member

Re: Voluntary repossession

Thank you so much!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.