Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WA SOL for credit card debt

tag
RR5

WA SOL for credit card debt

Hello,

If anyone can help me with this issue, i would really appreciate it!

What is the statue of limitation in WA for credit card debt? I believe that cc debt is open ended contract, not written contract, so the statue of limitation would be 3 years, is that correct?

It's just really confusing because half the poeple say it's 3 years, and the rest say 6 years ....

So if the staue of lmitation is 3 years and date of last payment was 02/2009, then they're past statue of limitaion correct?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: WA SOL for credit card debt

@RR5 wrote:

Hello,

If anyone can help me with this issue, i would really appreciate it!

What is the statue of limitation in WA for credit card debt? I believe that cc debt is open ended contract, not written contract, so the statue of limitation would be 3 years, is that correct?

It's just really confusing because half the poeple say it's 3 years, and the rest say 6 years ....

So if the staue of lmitation is 3 years and date of last payment was 02/2009, then they're past statue of limitaion correct?

The SOL for credit card debt in Washington is 3 years.

But the SOL doesn't start at the date of last payment. It generally starts at the DoFD (Date of First Delinquency). Do you know the DoFD?

Message 2 of 5
RR5

But if the last payment was 02/2009, it's that the DOFD,  there was no other payment after that...

Message 3 of 5
Crashem
Valued Contributor

It would be the next payment that you missed so probably march or April. Either way you should be out of sol if 3 years
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

DOFD relates to delinquency in payment, not payment.

It is the date, in the most recent chain of delinquencies prior to a charge-off or collection, that you first went delinquenct and did not bring the account back into good standing by the time the account was charged-off or referred for collection.

The date of the most recent first delinquency is, in addition to being the date controlling credit report exclusion, also the date when the creditor could, if they had elected, have brought legal action for a judgment on the delinquent debt.  It is thus the date that usually triggers the beginning of the running of the statute of limitations on the debt in most states. However, some states include provision for reset of the SOL based on certain actions of the consumer, such as a firm agreement to pay, or an actual payment.

That, however, does not alter the DOFD on the OC account, and thus does not affect the CR exclusion date.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.