Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAGE GARNISHMENT/JUDGEMENT

tag
dangcredit
New Contributor

WAGE GARNISHMENT/JUDGEMENT

In 2009 Cap 1 managed to get a judgement in their favor trhgough the courts, becasue at the time I care less about my credit and had not idea how much it would affect my credit. Around 2-3 years ago I got my wage garnished through the sheriffs dept. for a certain period until they judgement amount was satisfied. I assumed they got the full amount when they stopped garnishing the wages so I never followed up on anything and did not really take care of any paperwork they had sent to me, so in short the only record of paymeny I may have is from my paystubs from back then. I have requested copies of these from my employer but am yet to hear back on when I would get them. I started seriously looking to clean my reports last year when the last of my previous baddies fell off (After 7 years, I wish I had been introd to myFico before) I now have a clean report other than an Alliance one (traffic ticket) that is due to be paid off next month and is in collection but these normally fall off the reports when they are paid off (lets say am an "expert" with traffic tickets). The only thing that will remain on my report is this Judgement/Public record that was filed in 3/2009 and shows a an amount of $1,114 which if I get a record of my garnished wages, I paid way more than this. The report was purchased here on myFico and I chose just the EXP one. Thsi is what it shows.

Judgement Filed on Mar 03, 2009

Type                                         Judgement

Court Number                        XXXXXXX

Case Number                        XXXXXXX

Date Filed                               Mar 03, 2009

Status date                             3/2009

Amount                                    $1,114

Plaintiff                                     Capital One Bank

Account Designator              Individual

I was of the assupmtion that this would fall off after 6-7 years but found out it could be upto 10 years( which is it in California). I have been reading on others rebuilding credit stories and have noted that with most judgements theirs say "satisfied" "paid" etc. Mine does not so am trying to get documentation incase I have to send it to the CRA's to update status. I feel with recently clean report it gives me a start over but I think this judgement is holding back my score.

I have Finger-hut $250 but will not be using this guys anymore. Had a recent fall out with them after they charged me unwarranted late fees and did a 30-day late on my reports which ate up 60 points off my score. EXP was 602 not down to 542 (this was as I tried to sort this out with thier people/cusotmer service and it pissed me off) I will GW it later to see if they can have it take off the reports as an error??? I dont know Any help here appreciated.

Cap 1 Platinum Secured, intially put up $200 with not chance to graduate but recently found out that they had CLI'd it to $500. I will take the extra $300 (means am doing something right) A Car Loan, Personal Loan. By the end of March plan on Cap 1 being down to <9% UTIL and Finger-hut balance is currently $60 to be paid up by next week and forget about it here after.

MyFico 8 EX: 663
EQ: 665
TU: 700
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
dangcredit
New Contributor

Re: WAGE GARNISHMENT/JUDGEMENT

Addition-   I have tried to dispute it to the CRA's but it was verifed.

Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its not unusual for the reported judgment amount to be less than what is ordered paid by the court. The reported amount is usually only the amount of the original debt, while the actual amount awarded by the court will include interest and legal fees. Contact the court clerk (in person) and find out if its been recordded as satisfied. If not, you should contact the law firm that filed the suit and ask them to report to the court that it is satisfied. If it is recorded as satisfied, dispute it with the CRA's to get it corrected.

Get yourself two more Credit Card accounts for rebuilding purposes. Secured or unsecured. Try CU like SDFCU, NASAFCU, DCU, etc. Avoid the predatory lenders like Credit One, First Premier, Open Sky etc.

Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

My only baddie is an unpd $400 judgment from 2009. It's on my Ex&Tu. Don't know if amount matters for scoring purposes. 

Message 4 of 32
dangcredit
New Contributor

Thanks Norman. So it is true with the information I gave in my post that the Judgement has not been satisfied yet according to the CRA's. I remember at the time of the garnishement the sheriffs dept. did it in two periods. They did one where they garnished and then stopped, I beleieve after $1000 plus then they garnished again sometime later for around $600-$800. At that time I called the attorney office to see if they could give me a letter to show it was satisfied and they told me that the $600-$800 garnishment had generated about $400 in interest and I thought that was really shady. Now 4 years down the line I dont have their contacts anymore and might have to start by going through Cap 1 again to see who represented them. Arrrgghhh this is what rebuilding and patience is all about.

My other question is, do judgements fall off like other debts. (disappear after their time limit) because if it is due to fall off 7 years (again not sure whether 7 or 10 in calif.)  I might as well just rebuild with C.Cards, Auto and Personal Loan until this falls off as well. Then see a score jump and start my morgage process?

Message 5 of 32
dangcredit
New Contributor

On getting more Cards, I have tried SDCCU and just yesterday tried a Wellsfargo and did not even qualify for a secured. SDCCU I was trying to establish with them as well. I always thought if the big banks cannot take you then dont even bother with CU's and with the Finger-hut issue bringing my scores really down am thinking it makes it even worse.

Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

FCU's are usually MUCH easier than the big banks for stuff like secured cards and secured loans. I got a secured loan from SDFCU last Sept with scores all around 500. I've also got every imaginable derog on my credit reports as well, from late pays, to Judgments and a BK.

SDFCU is different than SDCCU. SDFCU is State Department Federal Credit Union.  Some CCU's can be really tight. Go online and open an account, then call them about a secured card.

And though I loathe to recommend them, and will not use them myself due to personal issues in the past, lots of people here swear by BofA for their secured cards.

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm fairly sure Judgements in Ca fall off at the seven year mark, but I'm not certain. FCRA I believe says 7 years unless the state says longer up to 10 years.

Pay a visit to the court clerk and get the case filings, it will have the lawyers contact info - as well as the full awarded amount, with the interest and legal fees.

Message 8 of 32
dangcredit
New Contributor

Thanks Norman. Problem with most FCU's on here is they require you to be part of "????" family or work at ???? or be active or retired military type CU's thats why I got stuck with SDCCU and being am in San Diego, not too many choices. If only I knew what I know now 7 years ago, I would not have messed up my relationship with  OCTFCU,now Schools First CU.

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

SDFCU is EASY to join. All you have to do is become a member of the American Consumer Council. It costs five bucks to join. Thats all. no other requirements. Once you do that go online and app for SDFCU, where it asks for your membership qualification enter "AAC". Its that easy. SDFCU even spots you a dollar to open your account.

Another one thats easy to join is NASAFCU, all you have to do to qualify is join the American Space Society, which is free.

I've got simlar regrets regarding Navy Fed. I closed out my account with them about 15 years back, and now they won't let me back in. I had no idea how I was screwing myself. I was nowhere near a branch, and online banking was unheard of...

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.