Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING on FICO scoring

tag
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

WARNING on FICO scoring

I had an 11 point drop on my credit report. The ONLY changes were I decided not to carry a balance on either credit card this month. I did use one card (CL 500) and paid off the $17 balance and I used the other card (CL 1000) $280 and paid it off. That was the ONLY change. I confirmed it with a manager and she said, to get the highest FICO you need to carry a balance of 6% or less.

The scoring system is shotty and **bleep**! There is no encouragement set forward for those who work hard to be financially responsible. 11 point DROP for paying off a balance is worse than a 30 day late or an old ghost collection.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: WARNING on FICO scoring

I understand your feelings completely.  I was told here to expect a slight score drop because I paid off my car loan early. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

A 30 day late or ghost collection can easily drop your score 50+ points.

Just sayin'...

Message 3 of 5
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

It's so true! The good thing about paying off an installment is, they align your CR with your FICO. That looks charming as all hell to a lender! Yet, you need to have at least one installment. Don't go too long with nothing to fill the void. Even a small Student Loan acct with a portion of the CL used will do wonders and it will keep you educationally marketable!
Message 4 of 5
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

If you still have an installment account, you'll be ok!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.