Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY? WHY? WHY?

tag
Conswalla
Contributor

WHY? WHY? WHY?

I was so excited to have a baddie drop of my Transunion report this month.  It's from Warminster Hospital but is being collected by Central Finance Control aka Syndicated Office Sysytems.  The original drop date was October 2012.  Well, thats changed!  

I got an alert from Credit Karma today that the account was updated.  I called Transunion and they said the collection agency changed the DOFD to 3/25/2006 which means that account will now drop off in March 2013 instead of October 2012.

I know to some this may seem pretty petty on my part because we're only talking a difference of 5 months not years.  It just makes me so mad.  It's not like a initiated a dispute because I didn't.  I was just waiting patiently for the account to drop off my report.

Just frustrated.

Thanks for listening.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
diabla
Regular Contributor

Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?

Yes but will they then change the date again, to keep it on there!  Do you know the DOFD yourself?  Is the collection agency committing a violation here?  

Message 2 of 8
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

@Conswalla wrote:

I was so excited to have a baddie drop of my Transunion report this month.  It's from Warminster Hospital but is being collected by Central Finance Control aka Syndicated Office Sysytems.  The original drop date was October 2012.  Well, thats changed!  

I got an alert from Credit Karma today that the account was updated.  I called Transunion and they said the collection agency changed the DOFD to 3/25/2006 which means that account will now drop off in March 2013 instead of October 2012.

I know to some this may seem pretty petty on my part because we're only talking a difference of 5 months not years.  It just makes me so mad.  It's not like a initiated a dispute because I didn't.  I was just waiting patiently for the account to drop off my report.

Just frustrated.

Thanks for listening.

I wouldn't stand for this if they did it just to keep it on there longer.

They might have changed it based on the assumption of SOL, but that doesn't make it legal though.

Check what the actual DOFD is. If you have an old letter from the OC or a statment or something like that, you would have a case to not only have the DOFD moved back to the correct time frame but also if you need to bring it further - ie court.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 3 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Send in a copy of your old report vs a copy of your new report.   This is reaging the debt.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 8
Conswalla
Contributor

I'm wondering if the collection agency has a legal right to change the DOFD?  It's very strange that they updated the DOFD around the same time the item was originally scheduled to be removed.  I have the old report with the drop date of October 2012 and the new report where it's changed to March 2013. 

How should I proceed?  Should I send copies of both reports to the credit reporting agencies and dispute via certified mail?  I don't have any paperwork that will help me figure out the true DOFD unfortunately.  This debt is almost 7 years old.

I'm LIVID!

Message 5 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I would do that.  You do have the paperwork necessary if you have the original copy of your CR.  It is their responsibility to show why it has changed.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 8
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

@Conswalla wrote:

I'm wondering if the collection agency has a legal right to change the DOFD?  It's very strange that they updated the DOFD around the same time the item was originally scheduled to be removed.  I have the old report with the drop date of October 2012 and the new report where it's changed to March 2013. 

How should I proceed?  Should I send copies of both reports to the credit reporting agencies and dispute via certified mail?  I don't have any paperwork that will help me figure out the true DOFD unfortunately.  This debt is almost 7 years old.

I'm LIVID!

They do have the legal right to change the DOFD as long as it is to make it more accurate.

Sometimes they are not furnished with all of the data necessary by the OC and so they apply the date they are given the account as the DOFD and then once they get a more accurate DOFD then they can change it. In this particualr case it is to make it EARLIER not later. One is obviously deliquent prior to it being sent to collections.

They however do not have the legal right to change the DOFD to any date to keep it on one's report, or to keep it within the SOL. OC can not do this either legally.

Sending copies of an origional report and then a new report with the DOFD highlighted on each will show that it was changed and they will have to prove that they changed it to a more accurate date - since it was made more recent it would be impossible to prove its more accurate seing how they would have already been collecting on the debt based on an older date.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 7 of 8
Conswalla
Contributor

Thank you all for your feedback.  I'll let everyone know what happens.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.