Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WORKING HARD TO REBUILD CREDIT....TIPS?

tag
bella1013
Contributor

WORKING HARD TO REBUILD CREDIT....TIPS?

So, in the past couple of months I've been doing as much as possible to start fixing my credit.  I paid all my debts, that sadly were in collections for a long period, off in full.  I then sent GW ltrs.  I then got a secured CC for $1,000.00 and an unsecured CC for $500.00.  I'm doing the right thing, only using approx. 10% of my limit and paying off in full every month.  I'm also considering getting a secured loan.  As I am new to all this, does anyone have any other tips on rebuilding my credit besides the obvious, paying my cc on time, etc.  Anthing else I can try doing?  I've gotten mixed reviews on the secured loan thing.  (I was going to get a 12 month secured loan and pay it off in about 5 months.  If I did it, wouldn't want to keep it on my credit more then 5 months or so because in about 6 months I will be applying for a mortgage) 

TIPS??

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

Re: WORKING HARD TO REBUILD CREDIT....TIPS?

Don't. Get a secured loan. You're basically paying for credit at that point. Get rid of baddies helps a lot if you can.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
bella1013
Contributor

Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@bella1013 wrote:

So, in the past couple of months I've been doing as much as possible to start fixing my credit.  I paid all my debts, that sadly were in collections for a long period, off in full.  I then sent GW ltrs.  I then got a secured CC for $1,000.00 and an unsecured CC for $500.00.  I'm doing the right thing, only using approx. 10% of my limit and paying off in full every month.  I'm also considering getting a secured loan.  As I am new to all this, does anyone have any other tips on rebuilding my credit besides the obvious, paying my cc on time, etc.  Anthing else I can try doing?  I've gotten mixed reviews on the secured loan thing.  (I was going to get a 12 month secured loan and pay it off in about 5 months.  If I did it, wouldn't want to keep it on my credit more then 5 months or so because in about 6 months I will be applying for a mortgage) 

TIPS??

Installment loans have very little affect on fico scoring. Keep your UTIL between 1-9% you can play with it for a few months to see what works best for you. 

Message 4 of 8
mnosal9
Regular Contributor

Good will Good will Good will letters and when you get declined, Good will some more, send to different people someones gotta say yes. Im still Good willing , I got no no no no no from GEcapital to remove my closed JCP card, so they removed the major derog 60 and 90 day late, took several tries. Never EVER give up Smiley Happy Its only impossible if you stop trying.

Starting: 6/2012 : EX: 485(FAKO) EQ: 490(FICO) Trans: 482(FAKO)
Current : 4/2014: EX: 650(FICO) EQ: 664 (FICO) Trans: 681 (FICO)

Cards: NPSL Amex Green (AU), $11500 Discover IT, $4000 Quicksilver One, $3500 Bank of America Travel Rewards,$3000 Amex BCE,$3000 Quicksilver One, $3000 AA, $2500 Sallie Mae MC, $5000 Citibank AA, $1500 Barclay, $1200 Macys
~Back to the Garden~

Goal Score: 700 Across!

Gardening til 8/2014!!
Message 5 of 8
donewith600

Mnosal9 can you give me the address you used to GW jcp. I have a 30 day late I would like to have removed. Thanks!!
Message 6 of 8
bella1013
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.  I've already sent out my first sets of GW letters and waiting on responses.  I plan on repeatedly sending letters if they say no. 

Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

An installment loan, secured or not, will help in credit mix.  Making timely payments over time will help.  It is true installment accounts have little affect on your FICO score by themselves.  But positive payment history will and the AAoA will be factored in open or closed.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.