cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WTF - Massive Score Decrease for a Dispute

tag
Endgame_11

WTF - Massive Score Decrease for a Dispute

I just issued a dispute with Equifax over some old records for student loans that are still on my credit file that should have been taken out since I completed loan rehabilitation through the US Dept. of Education.

So I get a FICO alert that those old files are under investigation, and my score dropped 40 points!?!  Why the hell did it do that?  Will that go back up when the investigation is over?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: WTF - Massive Score Decrease for a Dispute

Maybe it dropped your average age of accounts by a lot?

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah what he said.  Student loans are good chance your first accounts and if you haven't opened up alot of credit or may have closed credit and open up newer lines then they are gonna be some good time inbetween the SL's and the rest of your accounts.  Keep in mind the SL's could be split to represent the different semesters or points at which you taken out another loan so they are often multiple loans.  So in essence you could be erasing your oldest tradelines and plenty of them.

You might not want these taken out you might have wanted to ask the loan folk if they could correct whatever derogs are in question if they weren't charged off or anything (hopefully not) cuz if they erase the SL's like you want then you might as well kiss those 40 points goodbye... rebuild...

Message 3 of 4
Endgame_11

I thought about that, but I only had student loans for my last year of college (2005), and I have credit cards on my credit report as early as 1998?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.