Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wage Garnishment

tag
notallthatglitters
Established Member

Wage Garnishment

So, I've had a wage garnishment for the past year in the amount of $2,055. 

The court order was for 25% of my paycheck and I am finally nearing the end.

If I am correct the next paystub that I receive will be the last contribution for this

garnishment.

What are my next steps? Do I have to do anything or does the garnishment stop automatically? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wage Garnishment

Once your debt is satisfied then the garnishment should end. They cannot take more than what is owed.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would follow up with your payroll department just to make sure that they are aware that the end of the garnishment is at hand, they can follow up with the creditor.
Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

... in addition, once the debt is discharged, the judgment creditor is required to file notice with the court of satisfaction of the judgment that was granted prior to the garnishment.

Make sure that the court is notified once the judgment has been satisfied, and then make sure that the CRA updates the posting to advise others that the debt is not satisfied.

That wont increase your score, but it may be important in any manual review to show that the debt is now gone.

Message 4 of 9
notallthatglitters
Established Member

Thank you SO much! I followed up with my employer, the court and the judgement creditor. Everyone seems to be on the same page. Just waiting to see the change the next time I check my credit score.

Message 5 of 9
evsports7
Contributor

Once the CRA are updated you can request to have it removed from the public records file on your credit reports. I went through this not to long ago. 

Credit Profile: Started (2/6/2016): EQ 516, EX 542, TU 543
FICO 08 (11/4/2016): EQ 634, EX 647 , TU 645
Message 6 of 9
notallthatglitters
Established Member

Who would I send the request to?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@notallthatglitters wrote:

Who would I send the request to?

If it's reporting on your credit, you can file a dispute with the CB. You can also send a request to the county clerk to have it removed as they are the ones who report to the CBs. More times than not, especially if you work for a large company or a company that uses a payroll service they generally don't keep track very well of the garnishment and will continue to garnish you, causing an overage that the company then has to send back. Make sure that they call and get a correct pay off quote from the original creditor prior to sending the pay off.

Message 8 of 9
notallthatglitters
Established Member

Okay! Thank you for your help. I'll be sure to call them after this final payment to confirm that the amount has been satisfied. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.