Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

0 Kudos

Wage Garnishment

[ Edited ]

So, I've had a wage garnishment for the past year in the amount of $2,055. 

The court order was for 25% of my paycheck and I am finally nearing the end.

If I am correct the next paystub that I receive will be the last contribution for this

garnishment.

What are my next steps? Do I have to do anything or does the garnishment stop automatically? 

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Wage Garnishment

Once your debt is satisfied then the garnishment should end. They cannot take more than what is owed.
Established Contributor

I would follow up with your payroll department just to make sure that they are aware that the end of the garnishment is at hand, they can follow up with the creditor.
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
0 Kudos

... in addition, once the debt is discharged, the judgment creditor is required to file notice with the court of satisfaction of the judgment that was granted prior to the garnishment.

Make sure that the court is notified once the judgment has been satisfied, and then make sure that the CRA updates the posting to advise others that the debt is not satisfied.

That wont increase your score, but it may be important in any manual review to show that the debt is now gone.

0 Kudos

Thank you SO much! I followed up with my employer, the court and the judgement creditor. Everyone seems to be on the same page. Just waiting to see the change the next time I check my credit score.

Contributor
0 Kudos

Once the CRA are updated you can request to have it removed from the public records file on your credit reports. I went through this not to long ago. 

Credit Profile: Started (2/6/2016): EQ 516, EX 542, TU 543
FICO 08 (11/4/2016): EQ 634, EX 647 , TU 645
0 Kudos

Who would I send the request to?

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

notallthatglitters wrote:

Who would I send the request to?

If it's reporting on your credit, you can file a dispute with the CB. You can also send a request to the county clerk to have it removed as they are the ones who report to the CBs. More times than not, especially if you work for a large company or a company that uses a payroll service they generally don't keep track very well of the garnishment and will continue to garnish you, causing an overage that the company then has to send back. Make sure that they call and get a correct pay off quote from the original creditor prior to sending the pay off.

Ch7 BK filed 7/5/16, DC 10/12/16
0 Kudos

Okay! Thank you for your help. I'll be sure to call them after this final payment to confirm that the amount has been satisfied. 

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.