Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wage garnishment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wage garnishment

I have one collections account on my credit report. If they start to garnish my wages is that another ding?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wage garnishment

I don't know about how it will affect scoring, but it has the potential to show up as a public record, as they have to obtain a judgement against you to garnish you.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have one collections account on my credit report. If they start to garnish my wages is that another ding?

Wage garnishments do not appear on a credit report. Typically a creditor must obtain a court judgment first before they can seek a wage garnishment.

Tell us about the collection.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have some overdue fines from the courts. Alliance one has the account but I was told I must contact the franchise tax board
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have some overdue fines from the courts. Alliance one has the account but I was told I must contact the franchise tax board

The state of California will not garnish your wages for unpaid fines, AFAIK. They WILL however, put a hold on your drivers license until its paid.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The state of California will not garnish your wages for unpaid fines, AFAIK. They WILL however, put a hold on your drivers license until its paid.

I don't thinks this is true.  I've seen garnishments for just about anything owed directly to a California government related organization.  DMV fees, traffic tickets, bridge tolls, etc.  If it's being administred by the Franchise Tax Board I'd make some type of arrangement ASAP.  They are pretty good for working out payment plans.  But if you don't address it they will come after you.  It might take a while, but they have no problem garnishing wages or seizing bank accounts over pennies owed.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Just a heads up...I recently had 4 accounts open with alliance one. I was able to get 3 recalled by the court and paid the court directly. The last one I just paid (it was $84). Alliance one's policy is to delete from your credit report once paid. They did for me and I know another person on the board they did for also. So...at least once it's paid they will remove it.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh...and I've had 3 wage garnishments in my past (yikes!!) none have ever shown on my credit report, however like someone else said: the judgment against you might. I only had one show up though.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.