Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wait, Send EE or Attempt to Settle?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait, Send EE or Attempt to Settle?

Well I have done a little more research on my collection accounts. I have called the CRA and asked for the DOFD and exlusion date on 5 collection accounts (Midland, PRA & Cavalry). They told me the DOFD on all were split between 1/2009 & 2/2009 and the exclusion dates were going to be 1/2016 & 2/2016. 

At this point, would you just recommend to wait it out a few months? Maybe try and see if an EE would be applicable? I was going through them to see if I can settle these to clear my record once and for all, but at this point it may not seem worth it. The last thing I want to do is misstep and re-age an account on accident. Also, once these accounts are dropped, does this mean that they are off of everything forever? My biggest concern is that they would still show up in a separate mortgage report or seen by a lender. I know there are certain Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac regulations about a mortgage loan with collections on the record. I am trying to purchase a house in the next year. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wait, Send EE or Attempt to Settle?

Don't settle at all. Try for EE or just wait. Unless you're trying to get a house or new car tomorrow or something, save your money. Always remember credit rebuilding takes time. Patience is key.  EE would be your best bet because there is really nothing to lose by being told no and everything to gain if they say yes.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. I called Ex yesterday and asked about getting an EE on my accounts. He seemed pretty firm that they will not delete early and the dates are what they are. Since I have 5 or 6 coming off over the next 4 months, I am not sure if that was a little ambitious to ask for all of them. I may try again today with TU and maybe just shoot for the nearest one and keep trying to pick off one every 2 weeks or so. I have a 650 EX with 6 open collections accounts, so I am anxious to see what the effect will be once these are deleted.  

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You gotta keep trying sometimes when it comes to EE. Ask to speak to a supervisor next time.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I have done a little more research on my collection accounts. I have called the CRA and asked for the DOFD and exlusion date on 5 collection accounts (Midland, PRA & Cavalry). They told me the DOFD on all were split between 1/2009 & 2/2009 and the exclusion dates were going to be 1/2016 & 2/2016. 

At this point, would you just recommend to wait it out a few months? Maybe try and see if an EE would be applicable? I was going through them to see if I can settle these to clear my record once and for all, but at this point it may not seem worth it. The last thing I want to do is misstep and re-age an account on accident. Also, once these accounts are dropped, does this mean that they are off of everything forever? My biggest concern is that they would still show up in a separate mortgage report or seen by a lender. I know there are certain Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac regulations about a mortgage loan with collections on the record. I am trying to purchase a house in the next year. 

When the debt is Excluded from your CRs, it is not gone forever. 

it is still a valid debt, just not displayed any longer.   In almost all states, it would also be past the SOL so they would not be able to use the courts to enforce payment.

You are correct, in a combined mortgage pull, if the creditor pays extra, they can get what is called a 'full and factual report' that will show accounts that have been Excluded.

I am not certain as to the time period it goes back to.  I have often read that it is 10 years.  I have also read that it is more likely to happen if your loan amount is over 150k, but that it doesnt always happen.

There are also times when an employer will pull a full and factual report, usually when a Security Clearance is involved.

Again, I have not been able to find information as to how long it goes back, but I do know it exists.

HTH

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Almost forgot -

If I were considering a settlement on a debt that was past the SOL and close to or already Excluded from my CRs, I would devalue the debt quite a bit.

I am thinking less than 25%, and more likely I would offer 10%.

Their chances of collecting are diminishing so they should be desperate.

HTH

Message 6 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A collection must be excluded from your credit report no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD on the OC account.

That does not discharge the debt, it only removes the ability for others to become aware of it by pulling your CR and seeing a collection that remains unpaid.

You might still benefit from paying, but may now be able to obtain a settlemenft for a much lower amount.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's passed SOL do not pay it. This has a chance of re aging it. If you're going to pay it all only do it for a pfd in writing. I would actually call the credit bureaus back, ask for a supervisor and ask for an early exclusion (not a delete or removal). You will eventually get someone that will do it. Ask for all the accts. worse they can say is no but they can definitely do it.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for all of the replies. I am a little worried that even if the lines are deleted from my report over the next 3 months, the fact that they could possibly be a red flag in a mortgage application in the next year. If I could be sure that Midland and PRA would be decent about it, I wouldn't mind trying to negotiate and settle at maybe 25%. My fear is that they are who they are, and could some how re-age the account. 

As for the EE, it seems that it will be a little more difficult since these are not settled accounts. I guess I can't really blame them for being more strict on that. 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for all of the replies. I am a little worried that even if the lines are deleted from my report over the next 3 months, the fact that they could possibly be a red flag in a mortgage application in the next year. If I could be sure that Midland and PRA would be decent about it, I wouldn't mind trying to negotiate and settle at maybe 25%. My fear is that they are who they are, and could some how re-age the account. 

As for the EE, it seems that it will be a little more difficult since these are not settled accounts. I guess I can't really blame them for being more strict on that. 

If these are the 2 agencies, I wouldn't count on them being "decent" about anything.  I would attempt EE and, if denied, wait until February.  

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.