Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wait it out or what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait it out or what?

Hi everyone,

First post here on myFICO. So here is my situation. I had a collection from Rickenbacher Collections that I paid in 2007 ($65.00) for a bill back in 3/09/06. The item only shows on my TU report and not the other two. Obviously this is adversly affecting my score on TU but I was wondering what to do (if anything) about it? Looking at my report from TU, it is estimated that it will be removed as of 12/2012. Anything I can do in the mean time? 

Also, 

If I can't do anything but wait, can I accurately rely on TU to drop this from my report in December? 

Is a GW letter or e-mail in order for this? Any suggestions from people who have been through something similar would be ever so helpful! 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wait it out or what?

I'd send a GW asking if they wouldn't mind deleting. Many will if asked.

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

So would I send a GW letter to TU or to the collection agency that I paid back when I took care of it?

Message 3 of 24
AcidKoolz
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

So would I send a GW letter to TU or to the collection agency that I paid back when I took care of it?

You would send the GW to the collection agency.

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. The only concern I have now is getting the letter to the right place. I think the collection agency I dealt with hs been bought out or no longer exists. Hmmm... Not sure where to go with that.

Message 5 of 24
AcidKoolz
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. The only concern I have now is getting the letter to the right place. I think the collection agency I dealt with hs been bought out or no longer exists. Hmmm... Not sure where to go with that.

If they no longer exist, then dispute it with TU. If they don't exist, they can't verify, and won't respond to GWs.

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that seems like the way to go. If they don't respond to the dispute it would come off, but my only concern is that the information is accurate because I paid it years ago. Doesn't that mean that TU can't do anything about it? I mean, the thing comes off in December according to TU, but the sooner the better I can get this off of my record. 

Message 7 of 24
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Dispute based on what asserted/documented inaccuracy in their reporting?

A dispute in name simply to require an investigation can be dismissed without investigation as "frivolous or irrelevant."

Message 8 of 24
AcidKoolz
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah that seems like the way to go. If they don't respond to the dispute it would come off, but my only concern is that the information is accurate because I paid it years ago. Doesn't that mean that TU can't do anything about it? I mean, the thing comes off in December according to TU, but the sooner the better I can get this off of my record. 

I'd ask that someone with more knowledge than me chime in on this, but, I believe it boils down to your ethics. 

If the information is correct, then it should be on your report. If you wanted it removed as a measure of goodwill, then normally you would GW the CA, but in your case, the CA no longer exists, so you are unable to do that. Disputing the CRA would theoretically work, since they can't verify...but that could be unethical depending on how you look at it, since your only disputing on the basis of getting it removed since you KNOW they can't verify...You're not actually disputing becuase the information is incorrect.

Has anyone ever GW a CRA? Maybe that might be the solution, but I would still wait for someone that has more insight into this than me before taking any action.

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Robert, 

No. The information is accurate and was paid long ago in 2007. It is scheduled to come off completely in Dec. and it is only on my TU bureau (hence why my score is lower there). I waa trying to see if there is anything I can do to get it off earlier, because I am paying off all of my revolving and this is my only other blemish to worry about. The agency that placed the collection no longer exists as far as I know and I was just wondering what to do with this situation. But yes, the infomation is accurate in terms of the biil and payment of the collection. 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.