Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wal Mart card question

tag
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Wal Mart card question

If approved, how long did it take you to recieve it?

I know it's been said people with high 500's/low 600's can get the store card -- what are the typical scores for the Discover card? 

Is there a difference in applying in person vs  online (besides the possible embarrassment if declined in store)?

Waiting for 2 collections to show "paid" then I think I may app.    May....I'm still gunshy on rejction LOL

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wal Mart card question

I got approved earlier this week (online) - still haven't recieved the card.

My scores for Ex is 637 (lender pulled - another CC app that I got denied), EQ is 623 (from here) and TU I have no idea yet but I'm guessing 620-640 range.

I didn't have any collections on my report, last late was 1 year ago. Have other major derogs that haven't been able to GW off but all paid.

From what I understand if you app in store, the general thought is you might get more than online since they think you might want to buy christmas presents or a tv or something, but with all things in life your milegage may vary.

I was given a 700 cl My highest is 750 lowest is 300 so I'm quite happy with that to start. Some people with higher CLs and scores have reported smaller starting limits so it MAY be a sign that they are in the giving mode for chirstmas and are hoping that if you have a card with them they will get your black friday/christmas dollars.

I'd try it in the store if I could do it over again. I've seen people get denied in line before - the service desk person didn't say "sorry your denied" all she said was, "ok it recieved your appliation, you'll get a letter in a couple days with the descion" I knew that probably mean "denied" but the person was like "oh ok, I'll keep an eye out".

As far as the discover card, I think a low 600s isn't going to cut the mustard. However over time they will allow an upgrade.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 2 of 12
Jutz
Valued Contributor

I was approved a couple weeks ago for store card w/ $600 limit.  The scores in my sig haven't changed, except for TU08 to reflect my hard inquiry from the card itself.  TU is the only score it pulls, so it would probably help to know that.  I don't think low 600's will cut the mustard for the Discover, but I don't see any reason why you'd get rejected for the store card.  I applied online, would have been approved instantly, but they needed to ask me ID questions over the phone.

I know people have said in the store is the best way, and that may be true for some, but I feel good about the $600 CL I received, knowing my scores and profile.  $400 is commonly passed out, and I believe that is the lowest tier for approval.  So if my scores warranted second tier that's saying something.

More about my credit profile:  3x Collections within 36 months, one of which is unpaid.  2x 30 day lates within 12 months.  1x Hard Inquiry on each bureau within 24 months.  AAoA 5.25 years.

I received my card in about a week. 

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 3 of 12
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

@Jutz wrote:
  $400 is commonly passed out, and I believe that is the lowest tier for approval.   

People have stated they started with 200 or 150 something low I don't remember.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 4 of 12
igids1
Regular Contributor

I was denied a walmart card. Their denial letter stated my score was a 435 (internal score). It was my second denial by a GECRB backed card in a few months. CK lists my TU score as 599. 7 inquiries, couple of unpaid charge offs and collections (working to get rid of them). Also included them In a BK almost 10 years ago. Also still have BK showing on reports for 2 more months.

Called twice to recon and was told they are unable to overwrite the computer by both underwriters.

Message 5 of 12
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Got approved two days ago. I was going to do it online, when it gave me a pre-approval for $700 after signing in. It had my info, just asked for social, DOB and phone number. It then gave me the 7-10 day message. I called in, they asked three simple ID questions and told me I was approved for the store card at $700.

I know the card growns nicely so I didn't bother asking for more at the time. I also have yet to see an inquiry on my reports, although the new account already shows up on one bureau.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 6 of 12
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@Epcot wrote:
Got approved two days ago. I was going to do it online, when it gave me a pre-approval for $700 after signing in. It had my info, just asked for social, DOB and phone number. It then gave me the 7-10 day message. I called in, they asked three simple ID questions and told me I was approved for the store card at $700.

I know the card growns nicely so I didn't bother asking for more at the time. I also have yet to see an inquiry on my reports, although the new account already shows up on one bureau.

What TU monitoring service are you using?  My myFico QM didn't alert me of a new inquiry, but my CK did.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 7 of 12
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@scarrollprint wrote:

@Jutz wrote:
  $400 is commonly passed out, and I believe that is the lowest tier for approval.   

People have stated they started with 200 or 150 something low I don't remember.

All the more shocking I got $600, lol.  I'm going to call after the first statement cuts and ask for a CLI for the hell of it.

Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 8 of 12
Epcot
Valued Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

What TU monitoring service are you using?  My myFico QM didn't alert me of a new inquiry, but my CK did.

I have myFico SW and Amex Credit Secure. I have been pulling daily reports there lately. I got an alert yesterday morning from Amex regarding my Chase inquiry from the same day as my walmart app. I hope nothing else shows up. May have dodged an inquiry by the pre-approval.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 9 of 12
awdsmama
Established Contributor

@Epcot wrote:
. I was going to do it online, when it gave me a pre-approval for $700 after signing in.

Where/how did you get a pre-approval from online? 

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.