Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Card by Mistake?

tag
jenne223
New Contributor

Walmart Card by Mistake?

Hi all,

I recently was approved for a Walmart card in 11/12. I have a net income of 75,000, but rebuilding credit.  I have been rejected for a few GE cards that I had applied for before the Walmart card, so I never felt the love that everyone on these forums speak of in their GE posts.  So on approval I get a credit limit of $150!  I was surprised at the low limit, and then I was rejected for an increase.  I called again when I received the card for CLI, but rejected again.  I pay after using and paying in full mostly at time of purchase or a few days later.  So I decided to try again with the CLI.  Rejected again yesterday!  I think maybe GE made a mistake in actually approving me for the card in the first place, because I have been refused an increase so many times and with such a low limit.  I don't know what I should do with this card.  Should I close it or just keep it? I don't know what to do.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: Walmart Card by Mistake?

I would keep it if I were you. If you are rebuilding credit, I think any credit is helpful in the rebuilding process. More importantly, you get a free fico score which is very nice to have.

Message 2 of 7
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

keep it. every month that passes in good standing is making your score improve even you cant see it daily.  Normally they wont consider a CLI increase until at least 6-7 months of use and some cards are 1 yr.

What other cards to you have if any?

How long have you had the walmart card?

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 3 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

4 months.   You need to wait 4 months until you are ready for a CLI from them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 7
jenne223
New Contributor

ok thanks all.  I will be more patient and just wait it out.

Message 5 of 7
soILseminole
Contributor

yes, just be patient with them. you got your foot in the door with the card, better than nothing at all. the card will grow with you Smiley Happy

Current: |MyFico TU-766| |MyFico EQ-737| |Amex EX-736| (May '13)
Message 6 of 7
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

I would definitely keep it, it's not gonna hurt you only help you. I got my Walmart card about 1 month ago and couldn't believe I was approved for $200!! From what I've been reading here, usually when they give you a cli, it's pretty generous. Just keep doing what your doing and be patient. Good Luck!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.