Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart card sold to collection agency

tag
mcdanielak
Established Member

Walmart card sold to collection agency

I received a phone call from a woman who did not identify herself other than to say she had a file in her office from walmart that I maliciously took out credit with the intention of not paying. That is not what happened. I had a card for several months and paid on it regularly. Then my husband and I lost our jobs. We worked for the same company and were let go when the company closed. I had not worked their long enough to get unemployment and my husban's unemployment was barley enough to pay for rent and food and utilities. The credit card defaulted and the late fees and interest started blooming. It went from $300 balance to almost $1500 in less than a year. By then we were so far behind on all of our bills and credit cards it was impossible to keep up. Now we are in a better place and I am paying off old debts. First medical bills as we have a child with cancer and the medical bills are overwhelming. Then we are paing on student loans. Then I will work on the credit cards and accounts. The statute of limitations on the walmart card is expired. I live in MS and the account was last report in 2012. The SOL is 4 years. I told the woman that and she got very angry. Began asking me if I was refusing to pay. I said I wouldn't pay on a debt without verifying it. She said she would remark the account as refused and would begin further actions against me. She then asked if I was out on parole or probabtion. No idea what the hell that has to do with anything but I am not. I told her I would not answer questions about my personal life and again stated I would not pay for a debt I did not have verification for. She said they will be coming for me and hung up. Am I wrong that the SOL is passed? She said it is on the state the debt originated in and not the state in which I reside. I will work on payment arangements when I get these medical bills under control. Till then, they have to wait. Medical bills for my son's treatment as well as his ongooing expensive medication is my first prioroity. 

Starting Score: 483
Current Score: 624
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Walmart card sold to collection agency

@mcdanielak wrote:

I received a phone call from a woman who did not identify herself other than to say she had a file in her office from walmart that I maliciously took out credit with the intention of not paying. That is not what happened. I had a card for several months and paid on it regularly. Then my husband and I lost our jobs. We worked for the same company and were let go when the company closed. I had not worked their long enough to get unemployment and my husban's unemployment was barley enough to pay for rent and food and utilities. The credit card defaulted and the late fees and interest started blooming. It went from $300 balance to almost $1500 in less than a year. By then we were so far behind on all of our bills and credit cards it was impossible to keep up. Now we are in a better place and I am paying off old debts. First medical bills as we have a child with cancer and the medical bills are overwhelming. Then we are paing on student loans. Then I will work on the credit cards and accounts. The statute of limitations on the walmart card is expired. I live in MS and the account was last report in 2012. The SOL is 4 years. I told the woman that and she got very angry. Began asking me if I was refusing to pay. I said I wouldn't pay on a debt without verifying it. She said she would remark the account as refused and would begin further actions against me. She then asked if I was out on parole or probabtion. No idea what the hell that has to do with anything but I am not. I told her I would not answer questions about my personal life and again stated I would not pay for a debt I did not have verification for. She said they will be coming for me and hung up. Am I wrong that the SOL is passed? She said it is on the state the debt originated in and not the state in which I reside. I will work on payment arangements when I get these medical bills under control. Till then, they have to wait. Medical bills for my son's treatment as well as his ongooing expensive medication is my first prioroity. 

Sorry to hear about your son.

Have you received anything in the mail in regards to them having collection authority? If you remember the name of the collection company, you can file a report with CFPB and your state Attorney General's office given their abusive tactics.  Have you pulled your annual credit reports or looked at your 3B reports.  For $1, you can get a trial 7 day membership with CCT Experian and get all your current FICO scores.  It will allow you to see if this collection is showing up.  There was nothing wrong with you requesting debt validation.  It's been a long time since I've heard of anyone using those kinds of tactics.  Take care of your family and let us know what happens.

Message 2 of 6
mcdanielak
Established Member

She wouldn't give the name and when I asked for validation she said she had my name, address, and social security number so teh debt is valid. I have the original account with walmart shoing on my credit report but nothing from a debt collector though the walmart account says CO on one report and the other two say the account was sold. I have never recieved anything by mail from them but she listed an address I haven't lived at for 5 years so that may be why. I did not correct my address and she never asked if it was current. My son will be fine. We are actually going to celebrate his last dose of chemo this weekend. The medical bills I will be paying on forever. Cancer is not cheap. I know the debt is mine and I owe it, but at the time, my son's medication and co payments were more important. Now that I don't pay for the medication anymore since he is no longer getting chemo, I can start paying more on the medical bilss but I owe a little more than $30,000 in medical bills and my family brings home less than that in an entire year. I am slowly chipping away at them but in order for my son to still get basic treatment and have his monthly followups, I have to be current on the medical bills and the monthly payment is such that I don't have the excess money to pay the $1500 walmart bill right now. I will pay it when I am able, but I just want to make sure I will not be sued before then. I have no job for them to garnish since I am a full time caregiver for my son, but I will be looking for a job in august when he has his final surgery and no linger needs a fulltime caregiver. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcdanielak.

It sounds more like a scam by the minute.  I can't think of any valid collection agency unwilling to tell  you who they are from.  When you're ready to settle the debt, call Walmart and find out who if any they sold the debt to.  I'm glad that the chemo is almost done with.  If the SOL in your state is 4 years, then they can't sue you.  Even Midland Funding at their worse was never that abusive to me.  When they phoned, did a number show up or was it unknown caller?  At least if there is a  legitimate number then maybe you could use that to file a complaint.

Good luck and I will be thinking good thoughts for your family. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
mcdanielak
Established Member

The number came up as blcoked. 

Message 5 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I think it is a scam too. The fact that she insinuated that someone r would come out is a dead giveaway. Don't pay her
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.