Frequent Contributor
SLR72689

Walmart hard or soft pull?

Anyone have an idea? I've only found things on CLI for Walmart being a soft pull, but not for applying for a Walmart store card.

Established Contributor
Leadberry

Re: Walmart hard or soft pull?

[ Edited ]

You get a HP for applying.  They will most likely pull TU.  Also, anecdotal evidence suggests that you have a better chance of approval and a better initial CL if you apply in-store, and more specifically, at the registers in the electronics or jewelry departments.

Shogun

Leadberry wrote:

You get a HP for applying.  They will most likely pull TU.  Also, anecdotal evidence suggests that you have a better chance of approval and a better initial CL if you apply in-store, and more specifically, at the registers in the electronics or jewelry departments.

+1

Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!
Valued Contributor
Epcot

[ Edited ]

I went to the website to apply late last year. I was logged in and when I went to the apply for the walmart credit card screen it told me I was pre-approved for the walmart card with a CL of $700. It was not a full app, just asked for my full social, dob and address. Nothing about income or anything else.
After applying I had to call in and answer a few security questions and she told me I was approved for the store card with a $700 CL. No HP ever showed up. I am very happy, but I am sure it is a rare experience.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 809 EX 774 TU 805
App free since 4/11/13
Valued Contributor
rckstrscott

Epcot wrote:

I went to the website to apply late last year. I was logged in and when I went to the apply for the walmart credit card screen it told me I was pre-approved for the walmart card with a CL of $700. It was not a full app, just asked for my full social, dob and address. Nothing about income or anything else.
After applying I had to call in and answer a few security questions and she told me I was approved for the store card with a $700 CL. No HP ever showed up. I am very happy, but I am sure it is a rare experience.

Very rare! Good job haha

Mine was def a hard pull, on TU

-scott

Starting FICO Score: 10/10: TU 498 | EQ: 502 Current FICO Score(lender pull): 05/12: TU: 722 | EQ: 712 | EX: 686
Collections Removed: Hunter Warfield, CBE Group, Merchants Credit Guide, EOS-CCA, Enhanced Recovery, Portfolio Recovery, UCB, American Collection Company, Medical Business Bureau, Jefferson Capital, Credit Portfolio Associates, FCO, LVNV, Convergent, Armor Systems
Other Negative Entries Removed:Plains Commerce CO, HSBC CO, 2008 Judgment Santander Reposession

Still Working On: Illinois Paid Tax Lien,
Positive Accounts:10/10: 0 | 07/12: 6 | Mortgage Closed 5/12, Macy's AMEX $3900, Citi/Home Depot $2000, Capital One Cash Rewards $1500, Capital One Secured $500, Credit One Bank $500. Total Utilization: 6%. AAoA: 1yr, 7mth. INQS: 8 TU, 8 EQ, 4 EX
Frequent Contributor
SLR72689

[ Edited ]

Epcot wrote:

The same thing happened for me with Victoria's Secret & Express, although I didn't do the express one. I was curious to see if that happens for Walmart too. 

Valued Contributor
JM-AM

Walmart is a YMMV

If you apply for the card it usually consist of a hard pull.

If you are selected for a pre approval while signed in on their site or during check out it results in a soft pull only.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Frequent Contributor
SLR72689

JM-AM wrote:

Walmart is a YMMV

If you apply for the card it usually consist of a hard pull.

If you are selected for a pre approval while signed in on their site or during check out it results in a soft pull only.

I tried the shopping card trick and it didn't work so I guess I'm not pre-approval material... yet! :smileyhappy:

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+