Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to pay BoA Charge Off

tag
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Want to pay BoA Charge Off

Hi,

I've been making good progress with my credit repair lately, a $1000 credit card from a credit union, $1200 Apple Barclaycard (at 5 months now so hopefully a CLI next month) and 3 Capital One credit cards (an old $300 one, a $750 cash rewards one and a $750 Spark Business one). All the cards have zero balances, and are paid in full if I use them. I also have an auto loan with the credit union with around a $15k balance remaining.

My question is about an old baddie that caused my credit problems in the first place. I have a charged off Bank of America secure credit card. The balance reporting is $848. There are no collection agencies reporting this debt on my credit report, just Bank of America. It was reported in Nov 2008.

What's the best solution to deal with this. I'm in a position to pay in full, if it benefits me. I don't want to pay in full if they mark it paid and it just resets the 7 year reporting again.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
westo12
Established Contributor

Re: Want to pay BoA Charge Off

Maybe send a PFD letter? What is the DofD? Is the CO date the 11/2008?

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 2 of 7
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Yes the charge off was Oct 2008. What's DofD?

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 3 of 7
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@breedo wrote:

Yes the charge off was Oct 2008. What's DofD?

DoFD ( Date of First Default)

DOFD is the month you first went late (1st 30day late) and never ever recovered again.  You'll often see a 30day late followed by a 60, 90, 120, etc. That month in which the 30day late appears is the DOFD, assuming you never paid to get current after that point.

Paying on a debt does not start, the reporting clock over again. Reporting time starts from the DoFD.
CRTP (credit reporting time period) is the length of time an item reports on a CR.
Most negatives stay on a CR for 7yrs, CO's and CA's stay for 7.5 yrs from the DoFD.

To help with understanding how we talk around here, check out the Common Abbreviations .

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 4 of 7
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Thank you for your kind explanation. Not all places are as friendly. In that case my DoFD was 05/08.

Message 5 of 7
madmann26
Valued Contributor

So it stays on until 2015.

I would call BoA and ask them about a PFD. If they won't, then ask about a settlement and try to GW it later.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 6 of 7
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Thanks. I'll call them and ask about a PFD. I've tried searching these forums and others and it doesn't appear that many people have much luck with this, or a GW.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.