cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanted To Pay Off All Debts, And I Think I Already Messed Up...

tag
AREric
New Visitor

Wanted To Pay Off All Debts, And I Think I Already Messed Up...

Good Morning Everyone,

As the title suggests, I recently got a very nice promotion from part-time to full-time, and my fiance and I are looking to settle down and get our lives straightened out, but I think I have already messed up.  I posted on the Student Loans forum, but would also love advice from this forum as I am ultimately wanting to get everything settled.

Without pulling my report, my situation is roughly:

Capital One - $1,500

Wal-Mart/GE - $500

Student Loans - $1,500

A few $100 range debts (Verizon, Doctor's Office, Library, etc)

Capital One's Collection Agency decided to garnish my wages, and due to this, I only have a couple of more bi-weekly paychecks before this one is paid off.

As soon as Capital One's Garnishment ends, I was going to contact Wal-Mart/GE's Collection Agency, and ask for a PFD, and if I did not get it, I still intended to pay it off.

Same goes for the small $100 range debts, wipe 'em clear.

Where I think I screwed the pooch is with my student loans.  About a month ago, I was looking at my loans through their website, and intended to apply for Income Based Repayments as soon as my garnishment was over.  Literally a day after receiving my promotion, ConServe calls my place of employment, asking for me.  They would not tell me who they were unless I confirmed I was Bugs Bunny with so-and-so birthdate.  A few days later I received a piece of mail from them, stating that my student loan went from $19,000 to $24,000 in fees, and also included a brochure for Loan Rehab.  Now I am trying to figure out what to do.  I know nothing about Loan Rehab or the whole process.  I just know that I can't afford a $24,000 debt to be paid off through Wage Garnishment

If you were in my shoes, how would you go about this?

Edited to remove name, Shogun

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wanted To Pay Off All Debts, And I Think I Already Messed Up...

Sorry but I don't know much about the loan rehabs.  But I'll try with the others.

After Cap1 finishes the garnishment, I'd contacy my local courthouse where it was filed to see what their steps are for vacating or putting aside the judgement.  Some do, some don't, but I'd call and find out.

Try the PFD for GE, if a no go, then I'd pay and GW.

Same with the smaller loans.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.