Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was disputing a mistake?

tag
pengy_wi
New Contributor

Was disputing a mistake?

We met with a mortgage officer at our credit union a couple weeks ago and my husband's CR shows a number of medical bills which had gone to collections and are now paid (and report as paid) but the status of the accounts is still reported as open. He advised us to dispute all of them (I think there were 7) and request the accounts be reported as closed. Was it worth doing that or is his report going to look worse now since there will be all these disputes on there? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
UpmyscoreinFL
Frequent Contributor

Re: Was disputing a mistake?

Try calling the collection agencies first and ask them to delete. It worked on one of mine not the other. Underwriters do not like dispute comments on your reports.i would try the delete calls first.
Equifax my fico 629
Transunion my fico 669
Experian fako 663
Message 2 of 3
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Was disputing a mistake?

Don't dispute through the CRA's when going into a mortgage.  That's the worst advice, EVER.

You can use the Direct Dispute process which means you go straight to the reporting source, and require them, by law, to report the info accurately, and if they can't do that, then they have to delete.

You can try for a goodwill deletion while you are at it, of course.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.