Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Item - First Bank of Deleware/CE

tag
zullyquirke
Contributor

Weird Item - First Bank of Deleware/CE

I have a kind of weird item on my report from the First Bank of Deleware/CE. This is an account that was referred to a CA, and I contacted them to get information on the debt. Instead of getting information, the next report I got had the CA removed entirely from my account. But the OC is still listed, albeit with a $0 balance.

Condition: Derogatory

Balance; $0

Type: Credit Card

Pay Status: Collection/Chargeoff

Past Due: $0

High Balance: $520

Payment: $0

Opened: 08/05/09

Is this a GW letter situation? Or is something else going on? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Re: Weird Item - First Bank of Deleware/CE

Maybe this would be a good time for a DV letter (although I think there is another term for it when you're sending it to the OC). 

Have you tried calling the OC?

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 2 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@casmith1980 wrote:

Maybe this would be a good time for a DV letter (although I think there is another term for it when you're sending it to the OC). 

Have you tried calling the OC?

If there is a 0 dollar balance, there is no debt to validate, therefor, a DV would make no sense and not work.

Since it is a charge off, it shows a  0 dollar balance. They sold the debt. They have no legal obligation to do anything further, because the reporting is correct. Sounds to me like the collection company decided not to validate it, or they didn't have enough good evidence and thought you would be able to find a hole in their validation.

You can always try a GW with the OC, I am doing that with HSBC and I might have finally had success. Maybe, hard to say.. But ulimtatedly, the OC is not going to really be able to help you outside of a GW adjustment

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 6
casmith1980
Established Contributor

If there is a 0 dollar balance, there is no debt to validate, therefor, a DV would make no sense and not work.

Since it is a charge off, it shows a  0 dollar balance. They sold the debt. They have no legal obligation to do anything further, because the reporting is correct. Sounds to me like the collection company decided not to validate it, or they didn't have enough good evidence and thought you would be able to find a hole in their validation.

You can always try a GW with the OC, I am doing that with HSBC and I might have finally had success. Maybe, hard to say.. But ulimtatedly, the OC is not going to really be able to help you outside of a GW adjustment

I was under the impression that OP didn't know what this debt was.  If that's not the case, a GW would be the only option.  (and btw OP, don't just stop with one GW letter, keep trying.  sometimes it takes multiple letters)

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 4 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@casmith1980 wrote:

I was under the impression that OP didn't know what this debt was.  If that's not the case, a GW would be the only option.  (and btw OP, don't just stop with one GW letter, keep trying.  sometimes it takes multiple letters)

Yeah. I totally understand. I usually work on the assumption all accounts similar to this are legit, only because in my opinion, a debt from 2009 is either yours or it's not. It was too new to have a gray area of 'Did I open that or not?' -- 7 years? I could buy.. but 2? You should remember a credit account opened 2 years ago.

I understand there are different circumstances so this is in my know way an indictment, more stating how I PERSOANLLY think when I see accounts like this.

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 5 of 6
zullyquirke
Contributor

Oh, that's actually a mistype on my part. I was inputting it from a sheet of paper. That's the reported date. Opened date is 8/05/07. Still relatively recent-ish, though it also has the unfortunate side effect of being during a period of time where I (foolishly) shared expenses with a significant other. So the DV was genuinely to determine whether this debt was mine or hers. I never got a response, so I still don't know what it was for. A credit card, obviously, but beyond that I'm not sure. It may actually be mine, and if it is I have no problems with paying it off and then attempting a GW after the fact. it registering as a $0 balance amount is what threw me.

A goodwill may sound like the best option, though. We can certainly see where it goes from there. the SOL expires in a couple of weeks anyway.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.