Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Medical Debt Issue

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird Medical Debt Issue

I'm not at all sure how to proceed with this one...

Five years ago my husband passed out in the bathroom (he has blood sugar problems) and hit his head on the sink. We ended up in the ER and he got 17 stitches above his left eye. At the time we didn't have health insurance because he was still part-time at his job. He applied, and was approved, for charity care at the hospital. We never received any kind of bill from the hospital whatsoever.

We are now thinking about buying a house and have pulled our credit reports, and there is a medical collection account listed for $1300. There's no way it could be from anything else, that's the only time he's been to the ER in the 8 years we've been together. How do we proceed with this? Since he was approved for charity care we don't even owe this debt! It's only showing up on Transunion, not the other 2 CRA's.

Do we send them a DV letter? I saw the DV letter sticky but it says "for non-medical debt only" across the top.....what kind of letter do we send for this then? Please help!!

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

Re: Weird Medical Debt Issue

The first thing I would do is call the hospital and ask them about this bill and why it was sent to collections. If it was a mistake on their part, ask them to pull it back from collections and tell them to ask the CA to remove it from your credit files.

If that doesn't work, search the HIPAA process. If you want to PM me about the HIPAA process, I'll send you some info that helps explain it further (something that was sent to me by another forum member).

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.