cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird timing on this, not sure what to do.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird timing on this, not sure what to do.

Hi all, I've recently decided its time to start rebuilding my credit and I've been reading here and learning a lot. I have 3 collections all with LVNV. All are due to drop off my reports between March and May of next year, so I decided to try to nudge them off with online disputes. The disputes were done on 8/24. Today I got a new dunning letter  on the largest of the three (about $4200) from Northland Group/LVNV, dated 8/21, and including a settlement offer of about 30%.. My first thought was to send a DV since it included the wording telling me I have 30 days to dispute or they will assume its valid, but my online dispute fell between them sending the letter and my receiving it. 

I'm not sure which approach to take. I'm considering these options:

-Send a DV, but would my open dispute prevent them from responding to me?

-Forget the DV and send  a cease and desist since the account is outside SOL in KS and should be off my reports soon anyway.

-Another option? This letter did not include the blurb about it being an old debt and they won't try to sue. Isn't that required on an SOL debt?

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Weird timing on this, not sure what to do.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all, I've recently decided its time to start rebuilding my credit and I've been reading here and learning a lot. I have 3 collections all with LVNV. All are due to drop off my reports between March and May of next year, so I decided to try to nudge them off with online disputes. The disputes were done on 8/24. Today I got a new dunning letter  on the largest of the three (about $4200) from Northland Group/LVNV, dated 8/21, and including a settlement offer of about 30%.. My first thought was to send a DV since it included the wording telling me I have 30 days to dispute or they will assume its valid, but my online dispute fell between them sending the letter and my receiving it. 

I'm not sure which approach to take. I'm considering these options:

-Send a DV, but would my open dispute prevent them from responding to me?

-Forget the DV and send  a cease and desist since the account is outside SOL in KS and should be off my reports soon anyway.

-Another option? This letter did not include the blurb about it being an old debt and they won't try to sue. Isn't that required on an SOL debt?

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Because you've used e-oscar to dispute, via the CRAs, the CRAs then "contact"...and I use that term very loosely...the debtor computers to validate the debt. No real verification beyond the CA database dinging back "it's ours, and it's legit."

The good news is that the CA's will know you're disputing, but most likely will not stop pestering you. The one that sent you a letter recently, I'd definitely send a DV via CMRRR as a backup, as it's timely per their printed clause on the bottom of their notice.

SOL is a defensive term, not an absolute. They can still sue you, and drag you into court. Only a Judge decree that it's beyond statue of limitations. Lower amounts usually do not get legal action, but if they see it profitable, they'll try dirty tactics sometimes, as a default judgment is their preferred end to legal recourse.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Weird timing on this, not sure what to do.

Thanks for your answer. I'll get a DV letter out tomorrow.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.