Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo AMEX $13k approval 3 yrs post BK7

tag
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Wells Fargo AMEX $13k approval 3 yrs post BK7

Hello everyone. I have not been on for a while, you know, life and everything, but I wanted to let you all know about a new credit card I just received. I am 3 years post BK7 discharge and I was surprised I was approved because I was under the impression that WF was not BK friendly. Wells Fargo sent me an invitation to apply for their AMEX card and I decided to try for it. I applied and was approved for a $13k limit! So for anyone wondering if WF approves their credit cards for post BK7, they do, at least the Propel American Express card. 

I got an email from them a few minutes later and my interest rate on the card is 16.89%. I get 15 months at 0% for balance transfers and purchases, plus up to 3% cash back in certain categories. 

My FICO scores are between 675 and 750, depending on which bureau. I will update on which bureau(s) they pull when I get the alerts. 

I took a sreenshot, LOL! 

AMEX-APPROVAL1.jpg

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo AMEX $13k approval 3 yrs post BK7

Shazaam!   Nice job on the WF Amex.  Congrats on a nice SL.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 2 of 8
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Congrats!  You and I have almost the same discharge dates (11/2013 for me).  Can I ask which CRA they pulled for you?  Also, I haven't seen anyone with a 750 three years out.  Is your BK reporting on that report?  Is that a FICO score?  Can you provide some more information on how you got to 750?  Thanks very much!

Message 3 of 8
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

My scores are FICO scores, the 3 bureau scores from this website. My husband has a 787 FICO from Experian right now and he and I filed a joint chapter 7 in April of 2013, discharged in August of 2013. I started rebuilding immediately and my husband and I put each other as authorized users on each others cards right from the start. We used all our credit cards monthly and paid every bill we could with our cards, then paid them in full each month, with the exception of leaving about 9% reporting on our highest credit line, the rest were PIF. We purchased a new car in Sept of 2013 and opened 2 Cap One cards each in Sept 2013, then we opened Walmart, Amazon and a Comenity card in Oct./Nov. 2013 and used them occasionally, applying for increases every month after the first 6 months because they do a soft pull for the increases. We only got an increase every 6 months, some 3 months, but we always applied, just in case. 

I am not really sure why our scores are as high as they are, they started in the 500's but one thing I think I did that really made a difference was I disputed, disputed, disputed, every single derog on our reports, until the only thing showing on all reports was the chapter 7 and everything else was good. It was a lot of work and effort but it made a huge difference to our scores. Yes, the chapter 7 is reporting to all 3 bureaus. From all the analysis I have seen, we have a very good mix of credit and have established credit that is 15+ years old now. The length of credit is important too, as well as other factors. I am not sure which ones or why but we did get very lucky with attaining the 700's within the first 18 months. My TU FICO was 711 just 15 months post bk discharge. The other 2 bureaus were still mid 600's but for some reason, TU soared when I got all the derogs removed and only had the chapter 7 showing. 

There are several others who have acheived 750+ in 3 years, they have posts/threads on this forum. I can't remember the names of them but I have read them. If you search through the BK threads you should find them. I wish you the best, it looks like from your siggy that you are also doing pretty well. :-) 

Wells Fargo pulled Equifax for the AMEX app.

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

<p>Congratulations, I could tell I'm almost in the same situation I filled bk 4 years ago chapter 7, one year later my dougther made me co-joint with her Amex credit card, since then I been very responsible maneging my credit, after 4 years working hard rebuilding my credit, my real fico as today Experian698,transition 688,equifax 697, capital1-$11,000, capital1-5,000, capital1-4,500, Sony card 3,500, d&iacute;scover-it 2,300, my credit utilization 15%, 100% payment history, my question what is my chances to be approved applying for Wells Fargo-Amex credit card, you think I should give it a shot&nbsp;</p>
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to mention I have a loan wirh wf for two years ago ,I had new floors in my house and Wells Fargo financed the loan and another year I will finish paid off, this will increase the chances to be approve if I ipply for a Wells Fargo- Amex credit card
Message 6 of 8
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

I think your chances are really good. My hubby is almost identical to your scores and history with Wells Fargo and he was just approved for $15K limit! Go for it! Let us know! Congrats on the comeback!

Message 7 of 8
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

I forgot to mention, we both got 15 months interest free on purchases and BT's.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.