Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Checking account closed and sent to collections

tag
M-cloud
Established Member

Wells Fargo Checking account closed and sent to collections

Long story short, I overdrafted a checking acct a few years back that was closed and sent out for collections, fast forward to last year they allowed me to open a new checking/savings acct(old membership since date) with them and everything has been gravy.

I am in the process of cleaning up baddies and only have 3 left(HSBC, Comcast and Wells).  

Has anyone had experienced dealing directly with WF and getting them to recall the collection?  I have searched and every post pertained to Credit Cards so any info would be great.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo Checking account closed and sent to collections

Regardless of prior experiences of others, I would make the request.

Since they have permitted you to establish a new account, then perhaps they will allow you to pay from that account under your condition that they terminate the collection authority granted to the debt collector.

That is, of course, conditional on the assumption that they have not sold the deb to that debt collector.

If they sold the debt, then they cannot now accept any payment or cancel the collection authority obtained by their purchase of the debt.

Message 2 of 4
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Also, do some digging. Recently, some banks have agreed not to collect on old debts, some justice department agreements (check out credit in the news or google). One such account was turned over to a collection agency, and they listed the wrong bank as owing.

After you have done your research on legality of debt (wonder why Wells let you open up a new account?), look at the BBB complaints against wells and the collection agency (mainly the collection agency).

If they purchased the debt, and it is not allowed to be collected, they will stand their ground no matter how off base they are, this is because at current stage, it's probably a junk debt buyer. Use the BBB to do a validation of debt, including original account number. State the debt is invalid (ONLY IF YOUR RESEARCH SAYS THE BANK IS NOT COLLECTING, very important, but don't bring it up). When they come back unable to verify the debt with account number and/or legal ability to collect debt, but insist you still owe, ask that they return the account to the original account holder, and close the collection account.

It also helps if you have a current copy of your chexsystems report. It is rare to have to use cfpb on smaller junk debt buyers (the bigger ones are alliant, portfolio, midland, anyone listing as factoring company on your credit report). But do your research on prior complaints first. And the legal questions regarding validity of the account.
Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 4
M-cloud
Established Member

Wells no longer had it in their system which leads to think that's why they let me open another acct.

The ca was easy to work with and sent a letter confirming they will delete the entry on my cr once I made the payment.
I've found dealing with ca that are local are more willing to work with you and delete negative information once they get their piece.

One more to go. PRC...
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.