Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Loan Modification (2-1/2 yrs of process) Effect on Credit Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo Loan Modification (2-1/2 yrs of process) Effect on Credit Score

I was in temporary forbearance (no payments for first 6 months - agreed upon by WF) and modification review while under a partial payment plan with Wells Fargo from August 2009 thru Nov 2011 because unemployment/underemployment.  I received a Well Fargo loan modification (not govt or HAMP) in Dec 2011.  My credit reports say I have 13 months of 120 days lateness.  I made all of the agreed upon partial payments while under review or in forbearance.  I have disputed the 13 months of being late with the credit bureaus since I made the agreed upon partial payments. I now have a Equifax FICO of 765 (A-) but my TU Personal score is 760 (a C because range is 501 to 990).

My questions are:

Should I show I am late for the 13 months even though I made the agreed upon partial payments?

Should there be that much of difference in score?  A- vs. C

How long will it take to repair my credit score?  (I have no other debt.)

Thanks for the help and opinions.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wells Fargo Loan Modification (2-1/2 yrs of process) Effect on Credit Score

Welcome!

Unfortunately, lenders don't explain the downside of a loan mod. Because the payments were less than the original contract amount, even if paying that less amount on time, they'll add a late. There should have been a 30 day late, then a 60, 90, then the 120 followed by 120s though the point the modification ended, but it looks like they just reported 13 of them. This happens with most all mortgage lenders and happens with many auto lenders after deferring payments. Same can also apply to any CCs you have a payment plan with.

Where did you pull your Equifax FICO from? I ask because a grading system isn't on myFICO.

Your TU scores is a FAKO called a VantageScore. It's the range you pointed out. For most, their Vantage is higher than their FICO, though for some of us it is lower. Vantage scores items that FICO does not and vice-versa. Only a tiny rare number of lenders use Vantage.

The lates are damaging, though if your 765 is a FICO score, then it isn't factoring in the lates. Look for a dispute comment in the comment section of that reporting tradeline. If it's under dispute, FICO ignores those lates. FICO reads the worst delinquency which should be the late. It largely ignores the past 120s and looks for the more recent and scores off that one. It can hurt through the full 7 years it'll report. In terms of repair, you can send Wells Fargo a goodwill letter asking them for goodwill in deleting the reported lates. That's an option, but I would put a little more time between the letter and the late. They might not be as receptive being so recent.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wells Fargo Loan Modification (2-1/2 yrs of process) Effect on Credit Score

llecs,

Thanks for the advice (wait a while) on the goodwill letter and the other information. 

You are correct about the grading system.  The Equifax FICO was pulled from myFICO.  It shows me being in the great range.  TU shows me in the "C" range.

What generated my inquiries is that I was denied a credit limit increase (that I requested) because of the late mortgage months even though I am now current with my loan modification.  The CC used Equifax so the 765 really did not matter since I have those 13 late months.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.