Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Went down 23 points. Why?

tag
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: Went down 25 points. Why?

Scott is correct. Even though you paid in full the balance before it was due...that does not mean that they did not report it when there was a balance on there. If this is your only card and this is a low limit card your utilization could have been through the roof!! That would certainly cause a big drop in your score. 

*8/10/13
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Crazy business
Message 12 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Shweeeettt baby Jesus! How did I not know that?
So much work to get to 626 with only 1 CC and I'm going down with it.

Thanks for the info guys, it makes sense. Now I'll pay attention to the report date and make sure I have no balance

If it is your only card you need to let it report a small balance.  FICO does not like to see all CC report 0.  They like to see you use your credit but wisely.

Message 13 of 18
Katheryne88
Regular Contributor

That all makes sense now. I just checked and they report on the 6th of each month
I was reported with a 70% credit to debt ratio Smiley Sad
Bad bad bad ideaaaaa.... I worked so hard to get to 626 with only ONE CC that's insane work and I let slip like that.

Thanks guys.. Now I know I'll leave some usage reported every month.

Starting score May 2015 500's across the boards
Now - 610 EQ 598 TU 597 EX
Message 14 of 18
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@Katheryne88 wrote:
That all makes sense now. I just checked and they report on the 6th of each month
Bad bad bad ideaaaaa.... I worked so hard to get to 626 with only ONE CC that's insane work and I let slip like that.

Just keep an eye on it around the report date now that you know what to look for. 

Here is the good news:

Your score does not remember your UTL% so, get your balance down before your next report date.... Do not pay off the card to a $0 balance. Leave a few dollars on it. FICO seems to like 1%-9%.

Your score will go back up, thats the optimal time to app for another card.

The worse thing that happened here is you have to wait a month to see your score come back up. Smiley Happy

*8/10/13
Message 15 of 18
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

Re: Went down 23 points. Why?

Pay it down to less than 10% and ask for a 'mid cycle update'. They may or may not do it, but they CAN do it. That's just an update to CRAs before the regular reporting day.
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Went down 23 points. Why?

Reaally Crossdivided?
Good news right there Smiley Happy
Message 17 of 18
percy81
Frequent Contributor

@Katheryne88 wrote:

Just PIF before your next statement cuts and you should get some of your points back and gradually the rest will come back!

Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.