cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

West Assett warning!!!

tag
sherri001

West Assett warning!!!

I had a Sprint bill that I was unable to pay after a job loss. By the time I was able to pay it was turned over to West Assett. I made arrangements  to pay the amount in full by making payments for 5 months. After I made my last payment they reported it to the credit bureau. I am so dissapointed. I had no collections on my report and this dropped my score 40 points. The person that I made the arrangements with told me that it would not go on my report, which it didn't, until I made all the payments!  If I had known they were going to put it on there I would have settled. Even though I paid in full, it's still on there as a collection. Does anyone have an idea how long this will affect me. DON'T TRUST WEST ASSETT MANAGEMENT!!!!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: West Assett warning!!!

@sherri001 wrote:

I had a Sprint bill that I was unable to pay after a job loss. By the time I was able to pay it was turned over to West Assett. I made arrangements  to pay the amount in full by making payments for 5 months. After I made my last payment they reported it to the credit bureau. I am so dissapointed. I had no collections on my report and this dropped my score 40 points. The person that I made the arrangements with told me that it would not go on my report, which it didn't, until I made all the payments!  If I had known they were going to put it on there I would have settled. Even though I paid in full, it's still on there as a collection. Does anyone have an idea how long this will affect me. DON'T TRUST WEST ASSETT MANAGEMENT!!!!

It is a major derog, so it will impact you for 7 years.. esp if it is your only one, although it will fade in time.

I would send them a GW letter reminding them you paid in full and that they agreed to not report. Maybe they will remove it

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 7
Shokk
Established Contributor

Is this West Asset Management out of Texas?  I had a collection with them and offered a PFD over the phone.  I did PIF and received an email stating they would delete.  It was gone a few days later.

I would call them first and explain the situation.  If that doesn't work, do as rckstrscott mentioned and send a GW letter.  Kill them with kindness if you call.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 3 of 7
RocketChick
New Contributor

@ Shokk Do you have an email address for them?? Ive been sending GW letters via snail mail for months now and they just keep sending me a generic response  letter telling me my collection was paid.

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What they did was not technically a violation of the FCRA, but it most assuredly was a poor business practice.

I would send a formal complaint to the BBB, outlining their practice of making false representations to obtain payment of the debt.

Perhaps they may care about their business reputation.............

Message 5 of 7
Shokk
Established Contributor

@RocketChick wrote:

@ Shokk Do you have an email address for them?? Ive been sending GW letters via snail mail for months now and they just keep sending me a generic response  letter telling me my collection was paid.

No, sorry.  I did it by phone.  I would take RoberEG's advice.  I've had more than one collection removed via the BBB.  YMMV. If they respond to the BBB complaint, be sure and respond if you don't get a response that they will delete.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 6 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with the above, you had an oral agreement in which you satisfied your part.  There seems to be a breach of such agreement on their part.  I would send them a kindly GW stating this and asking for their deletion first.  If it's a no go, then I would follow the other paths.  It sometimes doesn't help to start with the big guns.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.