Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Should I Do Next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What Should I Do Next?

I have been reading on the forums that when you are rebuilding you should have at least 3 to cards to start out with in order to rebuild. Presently I have the following which are all new.

Recent BK13 discharge 9/11/14

Secured CU Elan : CL 500.00 (Rec'd 10/1)

Capital One: CL 3000.00 (Rec'd 10/14)

Also have one Shared Secured Saving Loan From CU For 500.00

My question is do I wait to apply for the 3rd card and let these 2 run a course for awhile uses less than 10% and PIF each month, or do I go for a third card right now. A little leary of having a hard pull and chance of denial.  Also, what card in this situation would you recommend?  Would a store card be the best way to go for the third?. I see many people get the Fingerhut, but not sure I would use that. 

I only have 2 inquiries on CR from these 2 above cards and 2 inquires last year for auto loan which we never went through with.

Thanks for any help. Very much appreciated.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
RBFool
Contributor

Re: What Should I Do Next?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been reading on the forums that when you are rebuilding you should have at least 3 to cards to start out with in order to rebuild. Presently I have the following which are all new.

Recent BK13 discharge 9/11/14

Secured CU Elan : CL 500.00 (Rec'd 10/1)

Capital One: CL 3000.00 (Rec'd 10/14)

Also have one Shared Secured Saving Loan From CU For 500.00

My question is do I wait to apply for the 3rd card and let these 2 run a course for awhile uses less than 10% and PIF each month, or do I go for a third card right now. A little leary of having a hard pull and chance of denial.  Also, what card in this situation would you recommend?  Would a store card be the best way to go for the third?. I see many people get the Fingerhut, but not sure I would use that. 

I only have 2 inquiries on CR from these 2 above cards and 2 inquires last year for auto loan which we never went through with.

Thanks for any help. Very much appreciated.

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. Get a store card. Look at the forum at the shopping card trick and look at the stores that it works at. Pick 1 store that you'll at least buy something once a month from and do the trick. It'll be a new TL and it's a soft pull.

BK 7 Dismissed: 5/2014 AAoA: 6 years Credit Scores (07-02-2015): My Privacy Matters: TU: 633 EX:658 EQ: 651
How to add pics to Signature

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help. Would a Walmart card be under this category. I do read some people have had difficulty obtaining this card. TJ Maxx would be my next choice, but haven't seen a lot on here about that card. 

Message 3 of 14
RBFool
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your help. Would a Walmart card be under this category. I do read some people have had difficulty obtaining this card. TJ Maxx would be my next choice, but haven't seen a lot on here about that card. 

Honestly I chose the express card because it was super easy to get and they have $10 shirts on sale I can buy once a month. If you shop at tj maxx then try for that one, but it may not work for your score/profile. You also have to be opted in to recieve offers I believe.

I opted in waited a week (7 days) and I started trying the shopping card trick.

Basically any new TL will work as long as they report. So a walmart card would work but it may be a HP? I'm not sure. I'd suggest going for a SP to save a inquiry... That's what I did anyway

BK 7 Dismissed: 5/2014 AAoA: 6 years Credit Scores (07-02-2015): My Privacy Matters: TU: 633 EX:658 EQ: 651

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You. Had do I opt in?

Message 5 of 14
RBFool
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank You. Had do I opt in?

I'm not 100% sure if this is a requirement but I believe it is. 

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

You have to be "open" to offers to get the shopping card trick to work. So if you've opted out you shouldn't get the pop up for the shopping card trick (I believe)

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Done. Love these forum, learning something new everyday. I dont recall opting out, but I just opted in.  Next, do you think I should wait on applying for a store card until these other two age a bit, or just go for it? 

Message 7 of 14
RBFool
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Done. Love these forum, learning something new everyday. I dont recall opting out, but I just opted in.  Next, do you think I should wait on applying for a store card until these other two age a bit, or just go for it? 

I believe the opt in requires a few business days to be effective. (it should of mentioned it I believe) so I'd personally wait 7 days (give it the full week) and then try the shopping card trick. The sooner you get the new TL the sooner they'll all age at once.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you again. I will give it a week and then give it a go and cross my fingers.. 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more thing. When I am in the website, say for Express and I check out, should I use a credit card or will a debit card be okay to have this pop up hopefully come up. Does it matter?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.