Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Would Be My Best Strategy

tag
sgs71
Regular Contributor

What Would Be My Best Strategy

In order to see improvement in my credit scores, would it be best to pay off my medical collections first or pay the CO's I have with Midland first??  I want to take care of both, but not sure what to pay first to improve my scores?  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
sgs71
Regular Contributor

Re: What Would Be My Best Strategy

I also have an unpaid judgement of $450 that I have in line to pay, so of the 3 would paying the judgement be even better to pay?

Message 2 of 10
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

Personally I'd pay the judgment first. Not sure but I think that's a fairly big ding compared to the other things. Secondly the medical bills, then charge off's but there's also how much are the debts to take into account. What are the balances on all the debts ?

Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 3 of 10
sgs71
Regular Contributor

The medical debts are $1100 and the chargeoffs are one for $400 and the other for $800 and one other not with Midland for $1300

Message 4 of 10
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

I still think paying the judgment first would be best. Depending on the state I've heard getting them removed can be done with just a few steps but ofcourse I would investigate that claim before doing anything. Medical debts on your credit report are supposedly easier to clean up now. Start with those two would be my advice. Then follow-up on the CO's. Hopefully that helps some. Definately no expert here but hope it helps!

Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

you need to check the SOL in your state before you pay anything. Paying one could possibly trigger another judgment. Agree with the previous post to check the judgement removal process for your state. Do try to do PFD on the CO and Medical before paying. That could really help you out. If all things are similar in time period then go after that judgement first! best of luck.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with Pistol. SOL is key and if there is a process to vacate the judgement. Medical I would go to the OC. I've had luck with paying the OC and they in return pull the CO. All that being said, judgement first, the newest to oldest on any of the other baddies. More bang for the buck so to speak.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sgs71 wrote:

In order to see improvement in my credit scores, would it be best to pay off my medical collections first or pay the CO's I have with Midland first??  I want to take care of both, but not sure what to pay first to improve my scores?  Thanks in advance.

From a score perspective, pay any items that are being updated monthly first, and any OC's that are reporting a CO with an unpaid balance.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

take are of that judgment, as soon as possible; it carries a lot of negative dead weight.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Public records affect scores the same, paid or unpaid.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.