Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a Difference a Credit Card Makes!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What a Difference a Credit Card Makes!

So, every year around this time, I rent a car. And every year, I need to use my debit card and supply a paystub and a utility bill (I rent through Enterprise). Last year, I had a problem and had to go home to get more papers and drive back to the rental place (it's like a 25 minute drive each way).

Last year in June, I opened a secured MasterCard with USAA and then in October, I got an unsecured AmEx with FNBO. 

I used the AmEx to rent my car this morning. And I must say...

WOW! That was quick and painless! What a difference having a major credit card makes! 

I always felt a little embarassed renting a car through that process as well, because it seemed like I was the only one. 

Movin' on up! Such an accomplishment for me! Even if it's in my own head! I just had to share, because I don't think anyone I know in real life would understand. lol 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: What a Difference a Credit Card Makes!

I understand your pain.  When I didn't have a credit card and using my debit card for everything it was hell.  The rental cars and hotels, then the holding of a deposit on top of the purchase price.  I do not miss those days and I don't want to ever go back either. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!!!  I've been there too, and never want to go back!!!  You're absolutely right--life is much easier with a good credit card in your wallet Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats to your success Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! I have been there too. Just last summer I wasnt able to rent a car because I didnt have enough credit on my CC. So thankful that I didnt have that issue this weekSmiley Happy I rented a car for three days and just returned it. Thankful to capitalone!

Message 5 of 12
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

Ditto one million times +1 lol  Smiley LOL  Having credit makes a HUGE difference

Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 6 of 12
jbsea
Established Contributor

I think that a lot of us on this form may know this feeling.  Just last summer we had to deal with this.  I was embarrassed when they asked for a credit card.  The weird thing was that they said that they had to run my credit for me to get the car since I didn't have a cc.  As you can imagine I was pretty afraid.  I don't know what they looked at but she gave me the car.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 7 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

One of the perks of improving your financial situation.  Congrats!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel your pain. I have to send my husband off on constant business trips with a debit card and hotels are a pain with debit. I have done a lot with his credit report but at this point the best limit I have gotten was 1000 with Barclay. I hope that changes soon because this is a constant pain in the butt using debit.
Message 9 of 12
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your success!

CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.