Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a crazy game this is!

tag
hillskip
Established Member

What a crazy game this is!

Reading this forum is fascinating and addictive; but, what's more so is how crazy this scoring system is!  I've done everything I have to have ZERO credit cards.  As in--my thought has always been that they're eveil. But I start reading this board and follow some advice................I applied for a Capital One Quicksilver and was approved  (CL $500) and all my scores bumped up--TU alone went up 23 points!  Is this for real?

The only other card I have is an older Captial One Platinum with a $300 CL--but with 30 day late that occurred a few months ago, meaning that I'm scared to ask for a CLI.  Then I have an old Dell Financial Services account that went south for a while but is no being paid regularly.  So, do I stop with the credit cards? Apply for another? Which? There are so many but I don't want to pull the trigger, get the hard pull AND the denial.

Thanks so much--everyone has been so helpful!

616 (Equifax)

623 (TU)

598 (Experian)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What a crazy game this is!

Yes it's for real. you have to have credit and use credit to build scores Up. Make sure to study Fico credit scores. Information and knowledge are power. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What a crazy game this is!

@hillskip wrote:

Reading this forum is fascinating and addictive; but, what's more so is how crazy this scoring system is!  I've done everything I have to have ZERO credit cards.  As in--my thought has always been that they're eveil. But I start reading this board and follow some advice................I applied for a Capital One Quicksilver and was approved  (CL $500) and all my scores bumped up--TU alone went up 23 points!  Is this for real?

The only other card I have is an older Captial One Platinum with a $300 CL--but with 30 day late that occurred a few months ago, meaning that I'm scared to ask for a CLI.  Then I have an old Dell Financial Services account that went south for a while but is no being paid regularly.  So, do I stop with the credit cards? Apply for another? Which? There are so many but I don't want to pull the trigger, get the hard pull AND the denial.

Thanks so much--everyone has been so helpful!

616 (Equifax)

623 (TU)

598 (Experian)

You can ask fpr a CLI, it won't hurt anything, they don't do an inquiry or hold it against you in any way if denied. Heck, you can request daily if you like. Their policy is not until nine months from your last late payment - but ask anyway, as its a good way to see your EQ score (or TU if they use that one for you) for free. When I first started rebuilding, I asked every few weeks, just to get that "free" score.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.