Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What am I doing wrong? Stuck FICO :-(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What am I doing wrong? Stuck FICO :-(

First things first, I’d like to thank EVERYONE that contributes to these blogs.  I’ve been a reader over the last few months and have gained so much knowledge.  My credit has increased from the information I’ve seen here and I’m forever thankful.  

I’ve focused the last year or so on really cleaning up my credit and fixing mistakes I made in my 20’s.  I’m fortunate to have a great career and the knowledge to know I have to do better.  

My scores are pretty stuck and I’m wondering what I need to do to see an increase.  I’d really like to join the 700+ club across the board, it seems impossible.

What am I doing wrong and what can I fix?

Current Credit Cards/Limit/Time Owned

AMEX - $15K / 2 MONTHS

BOA - $3.5K / 2 MONTHS
CAP1 - $500 / 15 MONTHS
CAP1 QS - $1100 / 4 MONTHS
CREDIT1 - $750 / 16 MONTHS
CREDIT1 - $1000 / 4 MONTHS
DISCOVER - $2000 / 4 MONTHS

Max 15% Credit Utilization (at statement close, all cards)

Only Loan: 
CAP1 CAR LOAN - 8 MONTHS
START LOAN AMOUNT - $21350
CURRENT LOAN AMOUNT - $17000

The bad part… I had pneumonia a few years ago that almost killed me.  Once I was well, the medical bills almost killed me again.  I tried to keep up but ended up with three collections accounts.  They are such small amounts looking at them now.  At the time, it seemed like millions.

MED1 - $478 (Shows as PAID)
MED2 - $600 (Shows as PAID)
MED3-  $907 (Haven’t touched because paying the other ones didn’t help)

That’s it!  Thats all that's on my report.  The other closed accounts were all in good standing.  I don’t have any late payments on anything.  

I am welcome to any and all advice!  Thank you so much for taking time to assist me!
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What am I doing wrong? Stuck FICO :-(

@Anonymous wrote:
First things first, I’d like to thank EVERYONE that contributes to these blogs.  I’ve been a reader over the last few months and have gained so much knowledge.  My credit has increased from the information I’ve seen here and I’m forever thankful.  

I’ve focused the last year or so on really cleaning up my credit and fixing mistakes I made in my 20’s.  I’m fortunate to have a great career and the knowledge to know I have to do better.  

My scores are pretty stuck and I’m wondering what I need to do to see an increase.  I’d really like to join the 700+ club across the board, it seems impossible.

AMEX - $15K / 2 MONTHS

BOA - $3.5K / 2 MONTHS
CAP1 - $500 / 15 MONTHS

Only Loan: 
CAP1 CAR LOAN - 8 MONTHS

The bad part… I had pneumonia a few years ago that almost killed me.  Once I was well, the medical bills almost killed me again.  I tried to keep up but ended up with three collections accounts.  They are such small amounts looking at them now.  At the time, it seemed like millions.

That’s it!  Thats all that's on my report.  The other closed accounts were all in good standing.  I don’t have any late payments on anything.  

I am welcome to any and all advice!  Thank you so much for taking time to assist me!

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

There are 2 main probs your new cards and loans are still relatively new and you have collections showing. Keep your reported util to only 1 card with no more than 9% of its limit being reported this will help boost Fico. A paid collection is just as bad as one thats unpaid, Fico looks to the date of last update to make its calculations so when you paid those collections the status date came current when they reported 0 balance but Fico sees this as a brand new collection. As they quit updating they begin to age back in time and less impact on your Fico. These are medical so you have a very good chance of getting them removed. On the 2 paid I would immediately begin a GW letter campaign asking for removal of the TLs and on the unpaid here are the steps to follow

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

AMEX - $15K / 2 MONTHS

BOA - $3.5K / 2 MONTHS
CAP1 - $500 / 15 MONTHS

Only Loan: 
CAP1 CAR LOAN - 8 MONTHS

Get utilization below 10%.  Stop applying for new credit - your credit accounts seem very new which negatively impacts your score. If the paid collections are recent, call to get them deleted and you should be above 700.  No more new credit! Hard inquiries and new accounts hurt our scores.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your balances on each of your card?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.