Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are Closed Current Accounts on Experian

tag
BatHunters
Valued Member

What are Closed Current Accounts on Experian

What are Closed Current Accounts on a Experians Credit Report? I just signed up with them last night and got my full report and score. I have a few old Student Loans that I know were late awhile back but I ended up paying them all off. They have 'KD' (key derogatory) marked over most of the months. Experians legend included: Current, Current Closed, Unknown, Potentially Negative, and Potentially Negative Closed.

I do have one thats Potentially Negative Closed, but it's in Dispute and it's already been 3 weeks and they havn't responded.

Are those 'Current Closed' hurting my score?

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: TU FICO 693 EQ FICO 663 04/04/2014
Goal Score: 720

Gardening since 04/09/2014
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What are Closed Current Accounts on Experian

Current closed are good accounts not hurting your score they will stay around for up to 10 years post close.

Message 2 of 4
BatHunters
Valued Member

So just to clarify, these aren't hurting my score at all? It seems hard to believe. Here's a picture:

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: TU FICO 693 EQ FICO 663 04/04/2014
Goal Score: 720

Gardening since 04/09/2014
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Closed does not relate to the payment status, which could be either current (in good standing under the account agreement) or delinquent when closed.

Current means non-delinquent, which could still have a balance due, but is not delinquent under the account agreement.

Closed and paid would signify that there is no longer a balance due under the account.  It is now a dead account, as no payments are due, and the consumer no longer has use of the account.

Those are all snapshot statements as of the last reporting.  They dont include any historical information.

When the current status becomes paid, the status prior to that current status is separately retained in a code called your Payment Rating, which reflects its delinquency status prior to being paid.    And, of course, all prior derogs are retained under your monthly payment history profile.

Thus, a closed, paid account may still be considered a negative account based on its payment rating and payment history profile.

Example: Closed, paid, was 90-late.

Once seven years has expired from the date of the 90-late, that designation can no longer be included in your credit report, and it would read only as Closed, paid.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.